Condensor Mics

ilbred

New Metal Member
Sep 22, 2008
Hello this is my first post here so cheers everyone.

I have a question about condensor mics, and was hoping someone here might have an answer.

If I have Phantom power on my interface M-Audio firewire 18/14 is it necessary to get a condensor mike with phantom power or can i save a little cash and go with a cond mic without phantom power? I also see some condensors that say they require phantom power will the interface provide what I need for these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No condenser mics "come with" phantom power. All condensers need to be powered in some way. Almost all of them will use phantom, although occasionally (very rarely) you'll find some that use batteries. Do some googling to find out a little more about what condenser microphones are, and you'll have an easier time making these choices.

Anyway, to try to answer your question more directly, any condenser mic you are likely to buy, will require phantom power. However, if your interface provides phantom, you will not have a limited mic choice, any condenser you buy will be sufficiently powered by your interface. You can use whatever your budget allows. What are you considering, and for what applications?

Hope you find something you like!

That is a decent mic package for getting started. If you want a very good, yet inexpensive, mic preamp to power both mics, then take a look at the DMP3. It's very transparent and won't break the bank.