Constructive Criticism Needed!

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Here we go, another one of those "listen to my sample and critique it to all hell" threads.
Here's a song that I've been working on for a while. A couple things to note, I am using a terrible microphone to record vocals. We're on a small budget so we can't afford a decent condenser just yet, so we're working with what we got.
Using all that stuff it's pretty hard to make it sound 100% professional, but you tell me!
What do you think this mix needs?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13291790/Shem UMetal Sample Mst.mp3
http://soundcloud.com/anthonyhildebrandt/shemhamforash-preview

Sup dude, I'm actually pretty shit at this whole mixing/mastering thing, but from what i can hear, Theres quite alot of low end in the whole thing. The bass is too distorted also. That could be cut a little, and it sounds like the snare at some points may be clipping, and in the whole thing i think is a bit too loud.

Other than that it sounds pretty good :D

Just wondering too, i'm guessing your into The Faceless?

EDIT: Just listened back to it again a few times, The snare is fine. Don't worry about that :)

Sup dude, I'm actually pretty shit at this whole mixing/mastering thing, but from what i can hear, Theres quite alot of low end in the whole thing. The bass is too distorted also. That could be cut a little, and it sounds like the snare at some points may be clipping, and in the whole thing i think is a bit too loud.

Other than that it sounds pretty good :D

Just wondering too, i'm guessing your into The Faceless?

Hmm.
I did add low end to the drums to give them more power, because my mixes tend to have very clicky drums and I hate that.
The bass, on this sample I made the mistake of accidentally boosting too much 400hz. I recognized that immediately after posting so I was like, "shit!" but I fixed that it's now down 2db at 400hz.
Some vocals clip, I know, it's hard to compensate with it.
We like our snare to cut through as it does, so I enjoi that.
& I never checked the db level upon mastering, silly me!

Yeah we wrote this song like 2 years ago and we were big into the Faceless :p

Hmm.
I did add low end to the drums to give them more power, because my mixes tend to have very clicky drums and I hate that.
The bass, on this sample I made the mistake of accidentally boosting too much 400hz. I recognized that immediately after posting so I was like, "shit!" but I fixed that it's now down 2db at 400hz.
Some vocals clip, I know, it's hard to compensate with it.
We like our snare to cut through as it does, so I enjoi that.
& I never checked the db level upon mastering, silly me!

Yeah we wrote this song like 2 years ago and we were big into the Faceless :p

Haha easy mistakes to make dude, don't worry... Especially not checking the db level after everything. Did that on a few occasions and blew me tits off with the volume! :cry:

Anyhow...

It's a good tune like, you gunna be churning out any more any time soon? :lol:

Haha easy mistakes to make dude, don't worry... Especially not checking the db level after everything. Did that on a few occasions and blew me tits off with the volume! :cry:

Anyhow...

It's a good tune like, you gunna be churning out any more any time soon? :lol:

Hell yeah dude! This is track 2 of the 5 song EP I'm working on.
This is the only crazy blast beat death metal song though, a lot of it is very jazzy experimental symphonic djent stuff.

Hell yeah dude! This is track 2 of the 5 song EP I'm working on.
This is the only crazy blast beat death metal song though, a lot of it is very jazzy experimental symphonic djent stuff.

AHA SWEET! Djenty Jazz sounds pretty awesome :err:

I'm trying to write an EP but its falling to shit haha, i write an idea, and then go blank...

Sucks eh? So far i have an Intro... And thats all haha! :lol:

Cant wait to hear the rest of your tracks like! :yell:

AHA SWEET! Djenty Jazz sounds pretty awesome :err:

I'm trying to write an EP but its falling to shit haha, i write an idea, and then go blank...

Sucks eh? So far i have an Intro... And thats all haha! :lol:

Cant wait to hear the rest of your tracks like! :yell:

It'll come to you. Don't be afraid to use outside substances for inspiration ;] :Smokin:

It'll come to you. Don't be afraid to use outside substances for inspiration ;] :Smokin:

haha :p i'll try make something up soon like, just as soon as i can get a decent tone from the Pod... Can't record anything to sounds nice because of it...

i mean, i've got a few ideas floating around but as soon as i start tabbing them out, it goes. I'd rather get it recorded with a decent tone so it stays in my head, and on my computer if you get me ;)

Heres that Intro i've got like, just had to re-master it or w/e because it was WAY too bassey :lol:

Probably still is but meh...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33225359/Intro new mix thing.mp3

Oooo, I really enjoy the tone of the clean guitar. Idk what it is, (things may be too compressed), but when it kicks in it loses a lot of power.
Like the drum fill before it kicks in is like "holy shit" but the overall sound of everything seems to me like it needs more power.
SWEET tune though, I really dig it!