new mix (ambient metal) - I'd appreciate constructive criticism

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I put some more work into my last tune and added a part/changed things a bit.
Also, I'm using SSD 4.0 on this, as opposed to AD.

Let me know what you think, any kind of constructive criticism is always very much appreciated.

EDIT:

new improved mix:

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like the rhythm guitars could use a bit more gain. The OHs could use some panning/widening, and they could go down in volume, they tend to bury the kick and snare. Some more dynamics in the drum composition could also aid you, the drums got a bit boring to listen to in the first half of the song, in my opinion. All in all, cool track, very ambient and unique.

It sounds to me like the rhythm guitars could use a bit more gain. The OHs could use some panning/widening, and they could go down in volume, they tend to bury the kick and snare. Some more dynamics in the drum composition could also aid you, the drums got a bit boring to listen to in the first half of the song, in my opinion. All in all, cool track, very ambient and unique.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I appreciate it!

By more dynamics in the drum composition do you mean changing the velocities around to make it sounds more 'human' or do you mean programming some more variations/fills to make the drums sound more interesting and less monotonous?

Not bad for a start, I'd say the guitar tones don't really glue with anything, the bass needs to help bridge them together and with everything else. Also some timing issues prevent things from slamming as much as they could. I would turn the cymbals down a touch, let your shells cut more, then built the rest of your instruments around the kit so that the drums never lose the hugeness. Leads could benefit from some more ambience too IMO. Some nice ideas though I liked the overall vibe!

Not bad for a start, I'd say the guitar tones don't really glue with anything, the bass needs to help bridge them together and with everything else. Also some timing issues prevent things from slamming as much as they could. I would turn the cymbals down a touch, let your shells cut more, then built the rest of your instruments around the kit so that the drums never lose the hugeness. Leads could benefit from some more ambience too IMO. Some nice ideas though I liked the overall vibe!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your feedback.
What are the timing issues you mentioned? In the leads or the rhythm guitars?

I just finished a new, IMO improved mix:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad. The track sounds a little dull - not very exciting sounding. I would make the guitars a bit brighter and definitely widen those cymbals/overheads like Cory suggested. Also, the reverb on the snare is very dark. I would also throw a high pass filter on the snare just to cut some lows. Not a bad mix though.

-Jonathan

Not bad. The track sounds a little dull - not very exciting sounding. I would make the guitars a bit brighter and definitely widen those cymbals/overheads like Cory suggested. Also, the reverb on the snare is very dark. I would also throw a high pass filter on the snare just to cut some lows. Not a bad mix though.

-Jonathan

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your feedback and I will put more work into this mix! :)