new mix (ambiance instrumental metal) - constructive criticism appreciated!

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi,

I re-recorded one of my songs and worked on the mix.
I'd very much appreciate any kind of constructive criticism on the song/playing/mix, etc.

Thanks,
Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything about the production in particular you are concerned with? Honestly, I think it sounds pretty damn good. I like the tone and imaging on the rhythm guitars and the way the lead track sits over them. The lead guitar track is VERY clear, which I think sounds good for this style of song. The ambient clean guitars and pads that you have going throughout add a nice flavor. There are a lot of things you could do to make it sound different, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing anything that sounds truly out of place or screams "this needs to be changed."

Is there anything about the production in particular you are concerned with? Honestly, I think it sounds pretty damn good. I like the tone and imaging on the rhythm guitars and the way the lead track sits over them. The lead guitar track is VERY clear, which I think sounds good for this style of song. The ambient clean guitars and pads that you have going throughout add a nice flavor. There are a lot of things you could do to make it sound different, but I'm having a hard time pinpointing anything that sounds truly out of place or screams "this needs to be changed."

Thank you very much for your feedback and the kind words.
No, there is nothing in particular I am concerned with about the production, but I was just wondering what others think of the mix as well as the playing.
In general I have some problems double tracking tight rhythm guitars so I was not sure if they are tight enough.

I think they sound plenty tight enough. For the most part their just providing a texture for the lead guitars to play over. If they were the central focus of the song, you might need to get them tighter, but I think they sound good here.

If it sounds tight in MONO it'll sound great in stereo. Listen in mono if your unsure if it was tight enough.
The mix was pretty good. The only thing I'd see changed is the clean guitar and it's constant panning, I don't like that.

If it sounds tight in MONO it'll sound great in stereo. Listen in mono if your unsure if it was tight enough.
The mix was pretty good. The only thing I'd see changed is the clean guitar and it's constant panning, I don't like that.

Thanks, I will give the mono listening a try.

By constant panning you mean how the clean guitars pan from L to R back and forth?

I listened to the whole thing and I like it.
Rhythm guitars could be tighter, the lead guitar sounds tasty and all in all it's very "round" sounding (and therefore not very heavy), but I think that's the sound you wanted to achive :)

I listened to the whole thing and I like it.
Rhythm guitars could be tighter, the lead guitar sounds tasty and all in all it's very "round" sounding (and therefore not very heavy), but I think that's the sound you wanted to achive :)

Thank you very much!

I will try to track the rhythm guitars again and see if I can get them tighter :)