please give me some constructive criticism on my mix (instrumental prog. metal)

First off, I dug the tune. as a guitarist myself, I highly support harmonized flashy wanking :p

However, I found the mix to sound somewhat flat, or hollow. Not sure where the problem is (probably in a bit too much compression overall, or something funky in the midrange). Despite that, something about that very quality gives it this cool oldschool sounding vibe to me, which I like.

First off, I dug the tune. as a guitarist myself, I highly support harmonized flashy wanking :p

However, I found the mix to sound somewhat flat, or hollow. Not sure where the problem is (probably in a bit too much compression overall, or something funky in the midrange). Despite that, something about that very quality gives it this cool oldschool sounding vibe to me, which I like.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your feedback!

What do you think of the drums, the snare and kick in particular?

The kick is fine. Is there a specific reason you ask, though? Because I hear something odd with the snare verb, where the snare's high end blends with the cymbals, or like you somehow had a cymbal sample in there with it.

Sounds neat... But for a bottom-heavy snare, I dig it! I've actually been listening to more snares like that lately.

The kick is fine. Is there a specific reason you ask, though? Because I hear something odd with the snare verb, where the snare's high end blends with the cymbals, or like you somehow had a cymbal sample in there with it.

Sounds neat... But for a bottom-heavy snare, I dig it! I've actually been listening to more snares like that lately.

Thanks a lot!

I was asking, because I had a very hard time with getting a good kick and snare sound, especially the snare is very difficult for me.
Maybe what you are referring to is too much high end on the snare?

The kick is a bit too loud IMO. The rhythm guitars are nowhere near as up front as they need to be too.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

By 'up-front' do you just meant I should turn them up a bit? Or would also some adjustment in EQ be required to get the rhythm guitars more up front?

btw, your clip in your signature is absolutely awesome!!! :headbang::worship:

Thanks dude!

I'm no expert in production techniques so any advice I can give you is limited to be honest. I'd just like to hear them attack me a bit more. They are sort of sitting back and the track kinda lacks urgency because of it. The playing is great though and it's a cool song!

Thanks dude!

I'm no expert in production techniques so any advice I can give you is limited to be honest. I'd just like to hear them attack me a bit more. They are sort of sitting back and the track kinda lacks urgency because of it. The playing is great though and it's a cool song!

Thanks again!

Maybe now the rhythm guitars are a bit too low and the drums too loud in the mix.