Consumer headphones sadness thread

anotherpaul

Sep 17, 2012
Moscow, Russia
My "everyday" headphones have died again.
6854.jpg

I used them the with my phone which is usually carried in the jeans back pocket. As usual, one of the wires broke near the jack plug. Angled jack plug doesn't help either, previous beyerdynamics headphones had it and have died even faster.
Does it happen to everyone or is it just me? Does the price matter as far as the cord/wires durability is concerned? Last several ones I had were about $70-100 and each lasted less than a year.

tl;dr Can anyone recommend any good consumer headphones brands or models?

well, if you could put 100-130$ on table for audio technica ATH-50m they would live LONG life (they are like tank for headphones). I'm thinking that I'm abusing them pretty much.
if you want to have really cheap - t.bone hd-880 from thomann.de (€23.90 £20.22) - I was amazed that they got almost similar spectral curve to ATM-50m (tested with ears) only low-end resolution doesn't hold up to that level. They are still with me - 3-4 years and only now they are having some repairing, because my kitten bite off one of side wires.

Get a hold of a few 1/8" connectors and a solder gun. Make your own. Anything covered with PVC is shit and useless when it fries.

EDIT: I have had luck with the ski tech with the detaching cable that pops off when you tug the cable. The headphones themselves have a cable that's a couple inches long, and once the extension wears out, you just grab a new one and go.

Yikes, ATH-50m is about $220 here. Almost as much as Beyerdynamics DT770PRO. Yeah, weird pricing we have. I was actually thinking about in-ear plugs. I had Beyerdynamic DTX 101 and they sounded great, but died fast.

well, if you could put 100-130$ on table for audio technica ATH-50m they would live LONG life (they are like tank for headphones). I'm thinking that I'm abusing them pretty much.

Actually, as much as I love my M50s, I have to disagree with this statement.

Construction-wise, they are built fairly well... but I've had 3 pairs of them and they've all had the same thing happen to them. One of the sides will start cutting out. It's almost like it's been blown, but I rarely use them, never turn them up loud and I always take excellent care of my gear. A good whack or two will make it cut back in :)lol:), but it's pretty annoying.

if you want to have really cheap - t.bone hd-880 from thomann.de (€23.90 £20.22) - I was amazed that they got almost similar spectral curve to ATM-50m (tested with ears) only low-end resolution doesn't hold up to that level. They are still with me - 3-4 years and only now they are having some repairing, because my kitten bite off one of side wires.
Audio Technica ATH-M50 are 158€ on Thomann, that's ~207$.

I would check out AKG K-240 MKII, they are about 129€. They are semi-open though if you are looking for closed headphones there's AKG K-171 MKII and AKG K-271 MKII.

I've had the same AKGs over ten years and just now have to change the cable.

For the reason that:
-my headphones get used 2-3 times daily for about 2 hours at a time
-get put into my bag or are subject to being chased by the cat
-will often go after about 4-6 months

I buy these no-fear ones for about £3 each... I know this is stupid cheap and what you'd expect is some tinny sounding little plastic things, but the response is very surprising... and the cables are cover in a nylon fabric rather than just plastic, much better IMHO...

When i'm out and about i'm just after a soundtrack that sounds good, not sonically perfect... may be a "wtf" statement... but they get me through my commutes...

Plus I get a free giant coffee cup everytime I order a pair...

I've been using a Etymotic HF5 in-ear set for several months now and love them.

Just had my Koss Portapros fixed for the second time, the cable died. So yeah, they do go. I'm not entirely sure if it's cause I never really spend much on these "commute" type headphones, or whether it's just because they get thrown around and used so much that they'll just give in eventually. They're pretty much the only thing I ever break, too. I'm thinking that when the warranty runs out and these break again, I'll do some research and get some better IEM's for a change. Though I'll probably be keeping a pair of Portapros as a reference; all the kids around here listen to music on them (I guess they're fashionable or something) so I check my mixes on them too, just to be sure.

Just get something that has a good warranty I guess, and keep getting them fixed until it runs out.

I've been using a Etymotic HF5 in-ear set for several months now and love them.

Do you have any 'pro' IEMs to compare these with? I've been flirting with the idea of picking up HF5's for doing live sound. I do monitors in a really crazy sounding room and need to get as much of the room out of my ears as possible - it's very difficult to hear what is really going on due to it.

I've been thinking about Etymotic HF5 as well. These cost about as much as lower grade Shure (SE215, SE315). Are they worth the price in comparison with cheaper stage IEMs?

Mothafuckin TR55LX's, niggas.

Google them because I'm not giving away my ebay auction deals before they end, and I swear by them for their comfort, durability, and sonic kickassery (Had mine for two years and they only broke because I wrecked my bike. I'm drunk very often on a bike, take that as you will)

get a pair, listen in comfort.