Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Converge – No Heroes
Epitaph Records – 86827 – 10/24/2006
By Nathan Pearce

Converge-noheroescover.jpg

Guaranteed to be one of the most talked about, analyzed, loved, and hated albums of the year; No Heroes probably didn’t have a fair chance coming out of the gates. Jane Doe was so good this band will spend the rest of their lives with a Reign In Blood on their backs. Nonetheless, No Heroes is the most aggressive they’ve been since Jane Doe.

While You Fail Me was probably the darkest Converge has ever been, fans seemed to miss something in that album. It remains as a slight disappointment to most. No Heroes can definitely be said to pick up where Jane Doe left off. The album starts in typical noisy/chaotic fashion for this band, but as any fan would expect, the band twists and turns throughout the album. Rest assured that Converge haven’t discovered their magic formula . . . and that is exactly the way it should be. This band is at their best when everything they do sounds like the improvisations of some sick genius.

It should be noted that the inclusion of clean vocals on “Grim Heart/Black Rose” (provided by Jonah Jenkins) is a brilliant move. I’m sure all the teeny-boppers will hate that move, but it again shows that Converge have no limits. The song is as epic and emotional as Converge have ever been.

If you’re reading this, I’m sure you’re a fan of this kind of music. I’m also sure you’d be stupid to not already own this. So to sum this thing up: excellent album; not Jane Doe, but still a contender for album of the year.

9/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Converge’s Official Website
Epitaph’s Official Website

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this one. You Fail Me is good, but No Heroes takes it out with ease. Again, as you said though, neither can stand up to Jane Doe.