Cool Mustaine lesson

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
It's quite simplistic...I had no idea how little Dave Navarro knew about the guitar.

It shows his spider technique that I always love to play even though it's hard as shit, but the coolest part is the very last minute or so when he shows that famous Holy Wars solo stretch.

Not rocket science or overly difficult, but cool insight, nonetheless.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZUos8UgWWo&feature=related[/ame]

:lol: What a fucking tool. I love Mustaine's music (eventhoguh as a person he's a fucking crybaby diva bitch) and it's funny to watch Navarro squirm.

Holy shitty guitar tone!

Watch all the parts of the interview because the lesson was just at the very end. It's actually quite funny.

The guitar tone was shitty because they just literally plugged directly into the amp that was there for practicing. Dave's guitar tone was a lot better than the mosquitoes coming from Nevarro's amp, :lol:.

I love that spider technique, though. Dave's a pretty good lead player, but he's a fucking monster on the rhythms. You can play Megadeth quite easily, but it's really difficult to play it with the same touch as Mustaine.

You don't see too many rhythm players with the dexterity and ability to separate each individual finger while playing rhythm like you do with tons of lead players. It's a must to have that finger isolation and complete control of each digit when playing solos, but you don't see that incorporated too much in rhythm playing these days. I still believe as far as thrash metal goes, Dave is the king of rhythm.

I remember that interview, Navarro was kissing Mustaine's ass so much, it was funny to see.

pffft I bet he just hasn't practiced playing guitar in YEARS since he makes the big bucks being a "rock star" on whatever reality show is being hyped these days.

He was rockin' back in the Jane's and Deconstruction days, but then right around One Hot Minute he suddenly sounded very stale. Not a big time margin there, but blame corporate rock I say.

I know...I've heard some of his stuff in old Jane's Addiction and it was pretty good...but jeez.

I'm not saying you need to know theory as well as Malmsteen, but at least know what a minor pentatonic scale is. (Watch the third episode to see that one)

I love that spider technique, though. Dave's a pretty good lead player, but he's a fucking monster on the rhythms. You can play Megadeth quite easily, but it's really difficult to play it with the same touch as Mustaine.

You don't see too many rhythm players with the dexterity and ability to separate each individual finger while playing rhythm like you do with tons of lead players. It's a must to have that finger isolation and complete control of each digit when playing solos, but you don't see that incorporated too much in rhythm playing these days. I still believe as far as thrash metal goes, Dave is the king of rhythm.

true stories.

also the part about having the same touch as mustaine.

my brother and I were die hard deth fans when we were kids, and I we bought the tab books for countdown and RIP and I remember how no one we knew could get the riffs to sound like they do on the record, even though we were all playing the right notes with the right picking etc.

particularly skin o my teeth, I remember, there was no way to get that riff to sound as awesome as it does when mustaine plays it.