Corrosion of Conformity Review (w/some crappy camera phone pics)

MyHatred

Chief Ten Beers
Jun 25, 2004
In the Pabst Brewery
So I am tired and sore as hell right now but as is well because I just got done seeing an amazing show last night. I left Lansing for Grand Rapids around 4 yesterday and we ended getting there in good time despite the construction. As we pull into the parking lot at Ten Bell's we are greeted by none other than Pepper, Woody and Stanton Moore. I walk up to them and chat for awhile get my cd's signed and get a few pics with them(haven't developed them yet).

We went into Ten Bell's and was greeted by the raspy whisky/weed induced vocals of the band "Weedeater". While I have never heard or seen these guys before, I have to admit that I am probably going to go out and get their cd now. The singer/bass player reminded of some backwoods crazy ass meth head. He fucking looked like he was about to have a coke induced seziure at any moment but was still able to play the fuck out of his bass. At one point in the show he went to blow out a massive snot rocket but only to have it go straight into his beard:yuk: . It was so gross but so funny at the same time. They ended their set with the best cover of a Skynard song I have seen a band play to date. They played "Gimme Back My Bullets" and they made it sound like their own. It was such a good cover that afterwards I went to the bar and bought all the members a bottle of Budweiser. Good stuff

Next up was Alabama Thunder Pussy.....All I can say about this band is "Meh" the singer sucked, the guitar player was pretty smoking but other than that, they were nothing more than a decent bar band

Crowbar followed ATP and I have to say as soon as Kirk plugged in his guitar in all I could say is Alabamawho? They played a good set that included "Odd Fellows Rest", " I Have Failed" and "All I Had(I Gave)". During his intro to "All I Had(I Gave) he told us that he wrote that song on a $50 bag of coke and a 12 pack of Coors Light. It was pretty funny because Kirk, who was visibly drunk and fucked up, looked like things haven't changed much for him since 1991. It was a good set all around.

Next up is the mighty Corrosion!!!! I have to say after seeing Corrosion 6 times before this show, that this has to be the best one to date. They played all but one song that I wanted to see last night. Their set was really close to being 2 hours long also:headbang: . I know alot of so called "metal heads" that have to be necro and grim all the time :Smug: that it was refreshing to see Woody smiling his ass off the whole time on stage. The dude looked like he was having an absolute blast playing out. His smile was so infectious that I could not help but to smile the whole time at the asskicking that I was witnessing before me. Plus I have to say that he was probably one the nicest "Rock Stars" I have ever met. He seems to be a really positive and nice guy all around The setlist in no paticular order is as follows

In The Arms of God
Stone Breaker
Clean My Wounds
Albatross
Break The Circle
Vote With A Bullet
Long Whip/ Big America
Diablo Blvd.
Senor Limpio
Cogratulations Song
Wiseblood
King of The Rotten
Redemption City
My Grain
Infinite War
Paranoid Opioid
World on Fire

An A++++++ set:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: They played well past 12:30 last night and it was probably the longest show that I have been too(well not counting Ozzfest of course).

Crowbar3.jpg

Crowbar laying down the coke and Coor's Light groove​

Crowbar2.jpg
Crowbar.jpg
COC2.jpg
CoC3.jpg
Woody having a good ol time​

COC4.jpg
Pepper headbanging his ass off​

The show sounded awesome. I can't wait for the July 21st!

Redemption City, Diablo Blvd...hell, those are all great songs they played.

I must say, though, In the Arms of God is becoming my favorite track off the new album. Can't wait to hear it.

I also read Deege´s review on BLS forum, I saw COC in Prague two times and for the second time they kicked some ass! It was in 1997.

Holy shit. In Columbus, they didn't play the following:

Break The Circle
Senor Limpio
Cogratulations Song
King of The Rotten
Redemption City
My Grain
World on Fire

If your setlist is indeed accurate, DAMN they are changing it up a lot from night to night! In Columbus, the setlist was:

It Is That Way (opener)
Paranoid Opioid
Diablo Blvd.
Seven Days
Albatross
Stonebreaker
Infinite War
Hungry Child (this is an old song from pre-Blind era with Mike Dean singing)
Long Whip/Big America
The Door
Wiseblood (w/Good Times Bad Times)
Never Turns To More
Rise River Rise
Clean My Wounds
In the Arms Of God
--------------------
13 Angels
Vote With A Bullet

My hatred with such a long reveiw (I'm not done reading it yet) I would expect a sixer for my time. :D

Glad the show ripped!!! they played a kick ass set opening for Motorhead too.

What can I say? I just get tired of reading these so called "reviews" that alot of people post on here that aren't really reviews at all. They are more or less a short paragraph stating either A.) The show kicked alot of ass or B.) The show sucked really bad. The reviews here tend be really fucking lame.

@Deege I think I caught them on a good night because they just kept playing and playing....

i remember when i saw them here in london (ontario) they kicked the collective asses of everyone in the venue and pepper thrashed the hell out of his guitars, even managed to knock the nut out of place or crack the headstock or something like that (all i remember him saying is "i've never fuckin' seen that happen before man"). I even caught one of his picks, which was a perfect addition to my ever-growing collection (the latest addition was one of spitz's from the detroit show \m/).

I was at the show in grand rapids last night. MyHatredforYouRunsDeep's review pretty much sums up the show. My buddy and I waited around before the show to talk with Pepper but he was on the phone for a long time. Trying not to be pricks we stayed back until he got off. As soon as he did we walked up and he turned straight for the bus and said "just a minute" we waited about a half hour and said fuck it. on the way in the back doors we ran into Woody and i have to say he is genuinely one cool guy. Missed Weedeater but talked with them in the lot. They were all really cool. A.T.P. was good. Some simple metal mixed with some really good stoner rock. Crowbar completely crushed all. Heavy as can be. Kirk sat at the end of the bar next to me while c.o.c. opened their set. Hit the floor a couple songs into it. All i can say is 'HOT"!!!!!! holy shit Sweating like a madman packed up tight on the front rail. it was worth it though. a huge set with a little bit of everything they have done over the years. gotta love it when a big band plays a little bar. the best way to see a show i think. hopefully ten bells can take over for what the old intersection used to be.

and for all that hate long posts you have my apologies

deathcube said:
I was at the show in grand rapids last night. MyHatredforYouRunsDeep's review pretty much sums up the show. My buddy and I waited around before the show to talk with Pepper but he was on the phone for a long time. Trying not to be pricks we stayed back until he got off. As soon as he did we walked up and he turned straight for the bus and said "just a minute" we waited about a half hour and said fuck it. on the way in the back doors we ran into Woody and i have to say he is genuinely one cool guy. Missed Weedeater but talked with them in the lot. They were all really cool. A.T.P. was good. Some simple metal mixed with some really good stoner rock. Crowbar completely crushed all. Heavy as can be. Kirk sat at the end of the bar next to me while c.o.c. opened their set. Hit the floor a couple songs into it. All i can say is 'HOT"!!!!!! holy shit Sweating like a madman packed up tight on the front rail. it was worth it though. a huge set with a little bit of everything they have done over the years. gotta love it when a big band plays a little bar. the best way to see a show i think. hopefully ten bells can take over for what the old intersection used to be.

and for all that hate long posts you have my apologies

Shit, I was probably right next to you then:D I had the black Dimebag shirt on(it looks like this).
index%20page%20pic%20of%20front.jpg

I love Ten Bell's!!!! It was my first time seeing a show there but I am definitely hitting up the Strapping Young Lad and M.O.D. show there. I could not believe how small the place was:headbang: All and all a perfect place to see C.O.C. :worship: So how is the new Intersection? I have only been to the old one

DarbysDad said:
My hatred with such a long reveiw (I'm not done reading it yet) I would expect a sixer for my time. :D

Glad the show ripped!!! they played a kick ass set opening for Motorhead too.

After rereading my review I have to admit it is a bit too long( I just hate nondescriptive reviews) so here is a tasty Blatz for your troubles:)

blatz1200.GIF

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Shit, I was probably right next to you then:D I had the black Dimebag shirt on(it looks like this).
index%20page%20pic%20of%20front.jpg

I love Ten Bell's!!!! It was my first time seeing a show there but I am definitely hitting up the Strapping Young Lad and M.O.D. show there. I could not believe how small the place was:headbang: All and all a perfect place to see C.O.C. :worship: So how is the new Intersection? I have only been to the old one

I know i saw your shirt. I was in the Among The Living shirt from the reunion tour (one of two in the crowd). When Pepper talked about Dimebag before playing In The Arms Of God was something i will remember for a long time. No matter what anyone thinks of Pantera or DamagePlan everyone that ever talks about Dime talks about him as good person they were glad to have known.

And the reason i started this originally was to say that the new Intersection has potential to be a great place for shows. It has the perfect size where you can get a huge crowd but not feel alienated like at arenas. Only problem is they dont book the same metal shows like they used to. I have seen a few really good ones so far but the old Intersection had shit every week or so. Ten Bells has the feel of the old one where you can reach up and almost touch the band. Not quite as close as the old Intersection though. I saw Overkill a bunch of years back and we held Blitz on our shoulders while he walked on the ceiling. Cant get much closer than that.

uhhhh......I read other reviews of this show on the COC board and the setlist was nothing like that. All of those songs I mentioned that they didn't play at my show, they didn't in Grand Rapids either. They've been playing basically the same setlist the entire tour (except for the opening night, which actually had a shorter setlist).

Had to revive this, as I'm seeing this show later in the week. For the folks that saw this, was Alabama Thunderpussy the first act to go on? I'm busy that night and I'm wondering if I can go a little late and still catch Crowbar (and obviously, I'll see COC). THanks!

Weedeater is the first to play then Alabama Thunderpussy then Crowbar. I highly recommend you check out Weedeater, they kicked serious ass when I saw them:headbang: Have fun and don't stab anyone