Cost clarifications

TexasBeth

Yes, that's my daughter
Jan 26, 2009
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
I've received a few emails about the costs and what does "double occupancy" mean. A quick rundown for you folks.

Double occupancy is required by the cruise ship. (minimum 2 per cabin) otherwise you pay for the double space. So pricing is per person.

Some have said- "oh, I would LOVE! to take this trip but it is too expensive..."

ANSWER.
In fact, as rock-type cruises go, this is not expensive. Please check other cruise special events and compare- it's actually not high at all.

Additionally- let's take a walk down Expense Ave. : )

If you were going to a rock festival out of town for a weekend, something I have done.

Tickets are approx. $100-200 (or more)
Hotel- full weekend of 3 or 4 days- figure on the cheap- $99 + tax. $400
Food- on the cheap $10 per meal x 4 days- $120

So just these things added up equal up to close to the same as the base price for the cruise- before liquor, before airfare. Factor in you are going to the BAHAMAS :Smokin: and spending an overnight there as well. The bands are all onboard and there's nothing but sun and a good time sitting on the deck, parties, or concerts to attend. No sitting at the hotel out of town killing time. :devil:

We tried to keep costs as low as possible to get this event off right for those who took an interest in the idea. Did about 2 years of research into it and have tried to translate back as much savings to the passengers as possible.

There are payment options and I am making as many arrangements with folks as possible in light of the economy etc. In fact, I've made some great new acquaintances in all of you and look forward to meeting.

That all said- there are the clarifications. : ) Cabins are booking at a consistent rate and we're expecting this to sell out and have a few more surprises/announcements still up the sleeve. Very grateful to all who are supporting this concept- looking forward to this being a huge success and making it an annual Spring event.

Just as a quick breakdown:

The cruise seems to be about $900ish per person - $700 including gratuity in the cheapest cabin, plus airfare.

For myself personally, PPUSA generally ran about $600 for airfare from Baltimore, ticket, and hotel (after having split the cost with roomies). I'm sure the West Coasters and the party suiters paid a great deal more.

PPEur cost me $850 between airfare, ticket, and hotel.

Not THAT much more expensive, really.

Some have said- "oh, I would LOVE! to take this trip but it is too expensive..."

ANSWER.
In fact, as rock-type cruises go, this is not expensive. Please check other cruise special events and compare- it's actually not high at all.

Additionally- let's take a walk down Expense Ave. : )

If you were going to a rock festival out of town for a weekend, something I have done.

Tickets are approx. $100-200 (or more)
Hotel- full weekend of 3 or 4 days- figure on the cheap- $99 + tax. $400
Food- on the cheap $10 per meal x 4 days- $120

So just these things added up equal up to close to the same as the base price for the cruise- before liquor, before airfare. Factor in you are going to the BAHAMAS :Smokin: and spending an overnight there as well. The bands are all onboard and there's nothing but sun and a good time sitting on the deck, parties, or concerts to attend. No sitting at the hotel out of town killing time. :devil:

We tried to keep costs as low as possible to get this event off right for those who took an interest in the idea. Did about 2 years of research into it and have tried to translate back as much savings to the passengers as possible.

There are payment options and I am making as many arrangements with folks as possible in light of the economy etc. In fact, I've made some great new acquaintances in all of you and look forward to meeting.

That all said- there are the clarifications. : ) Cabins are booking at a consistent rate and we're expecting this to sell out and have a few more surprises/announcements still up the sleeve. Very grateful to all who are supporting this concept- looking forward to this being a huge success and making it an annual Spring event.

I honestly think you're missing the point to an extent. No one (as far as I know) is claiming that they can't justify spending the money, simply that they don't have the money to spend. That is my personal case as well as the case of others I know. It's not that we think the trip is too expensive, it's not. I understand that the price works out quite well for all that you're getting. It's simply a matter of financial logic, mostly that you can't spend money you don't have. I want to see Evergrey so incredibly much and have now for years and am a die-hard Savatage/projects fan, but given the current circumstances, I feel I almost have to pass on this trip. And that's where I think most people are coming from, as is the case for most with going to ProgPower USA. The cost is justified, but ultimately, you can't go if you can't afford it.

Please don't misunderstand the answer to the question of cost clarification. I see both ends of this spectrum. It wasn't a defensive post but more meant to be informative as to cost analysis as there were questions as to the cost vs. going to something land based.

I wish to goodness I was able to just throw a party- in all honesty and anyone that knows me could attest- if I could, I would. : ) Some folks have contacted me regarding alternative payment arrangements and I've worked with each one of them. I'm trying-

I apologize if that post came across insensitive to life situations in any way, shape, or form as it was not the intent. I do appreciate and recognize the point.

Well, if you want a solo room, it's going to cost the double occupancy- it doesn't bother me either way. I would think you'd want to avoid the extra costs but however you want to work it- is fine. : )

I've set up a few people into solo rooms pending them finding roommates. Which we've matched up 4 so far. There's two in the "roommate" sticky thread that have not been matched up yet.