Could I get some help with a school projecct?

Theredintheskyisours

It is ours you know.
Apr 27, 2003
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
Visit site
In my Music Humanitites class, I am doing a project about the Nordic form of music (not Celtic). I know that the Norse never really associated themselves with any music prior to their conversion to Christianity. I was wondering if there were any folk bands that could fall under the Nordic category? And could you guys give me the website to the band(s)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

My two favourite folk(-influenced) bands from Sweden are:

Garmarna (www.cabal.se/massproduktion/garmarna)
and
Två Fisk Och En Fläsk (http://hem.passagen.se/tvafisk)

Another band from Finland (though most of their songs are sung in Swedish):

Gjallarhorn (www.gjallarhorn.com)

And one from Norway:

Gåte (www.gaate.no ; their music might sound more rock- than folk-oriented, but nearly all their songs are traditional ones)

Some artists that practice yoik-chanting (the traditional chanting of the Sami people), though the music itself might not exactly be considered folk:

Mari Boine
Wimme
Ulla Pirttijärvi
Jienat

Some more bands (some without links, but maybe google might help you in one case or another):

Hedningarna (excellent Swedish-Finnish band; www.cabal.se/silence/cabal_hedningarna/index.html - website hasn´t been updated in years though)
Tallari (Finland)
Suden Aika (female vocal quartet from Finland)
Burlakat (Finland; http://mediarace.fi/burlakat/sivut/eng/index.html)
Groupa (Sweden)
Hoven Droven (Sweden; www.hovendroven.com)
Triakel (Sweden, with Garmarna´s Emma Härdelin on vocals; www.triakel.com)
Ranarim (Sweden; www.ranarim.nu)
Folka (Sweden)

Thanks.

I can also include folk influenced heavy metal bands in my presentation. I think I am going to choose In Extremo, Moonsorrow, or Finntroll. I can play CD's while I am presenting.

Also, since the Norse weren't so associated with much music, but I was wondering if there were any Nordic instruments created after the Norse assimilated into Christian Medieval Europe? I know that Scandinavia went through a kind of musical revolution after the conversion to Christianity. I just don't know what kind of instruments were created.

Another instrument you might include is the Kantele (a Finnish string instrument).

BTW, you do know that In Extremo is a German band, don´t you? Even though they played the Swedish song "Herr Mannelig" (I definitely prefer Garmarna´s version on "Guds Spelemän") and the Norwegian "Villemann og Magnhild", I wouldn´t consider them a representative of Scandinavian folk music.

Yes, I know In Extremo is from Germany, but my project is about Nordic music and not just Scandinavian music (mostly though). I think I could get away with putting Germany and Denmark in the category of Nordic music, couldn't I? I mean, they do share some similarities in musical history.

I would put Herr Mannelig on there, but don't they play the Schalmei on that song? Or is that another type of horn?

That's of Middle East origin (developed in Baghdad). I want something of pure Nordic folk.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.

Theredintheskyisours said:
Yes, I know In Extremo is from Germany, but my project is about Nordic music and not just Scandinavian music (mostly though). I think I could get away with putting Germany and Denmark in the category of Nordic music, couldn't I? I mean, they do share some similarities in musical history.
Denmark is usually considered a part of Scandinavia. I don´t know the exact definition of "Nordic", but I wouldn´t consider Germany a "Nordic" country. As for similarities between Germany and Denmark in musical history, I can´t tell you anything about it.

I would put Herr Mannelig on there, but don't they play the Schalmei on that song? Or is that another type of horn?
I don´t know. I haven´t got any of In Extremo´s albums. I heard the two songs I mentioned and a few others just on some compilation-CDs.

That's of Middle East origin (developed in Baghdad). I want something of pure Nordic folk.
In the sense that the music is played only on instruments which are genuinely Nordic? Or is it sufficient that the lyrics and melodies are traditional and the the bands performing the songs are from Scandinavia?

I think among the bands I mentioned there is none whose music is played exclusively on genuinely Nordic instruments, but all of them perform (mostly) songs with tradtional lyrics and traditional melodies (though sometimes very modern arrangements). Unfortunately, from most websites you can only download soundclips (not entire songs) - though maybe that´s already sufficient for your purposes - or just listen to the songs. Of the bands I mentioned, Triakel might play the "purest" form of folk.

Just in case you haven´t already checked all the websites yourself, there are two complete songs in mp3-format on Gåte´s website (go directly to www.gaate.no/ny/english/giaudio.asp) and you should also check their video of "Bendik og Årolilja" (a Norwegian medieval ballad, though their version sounds very modern) in the video-section (www.gaate.no/ny/english/gvideo.asp). I also recommend the mp3´s of "Jungfrun i buren", "Herr Olof" and "Gift med näcken" from Två Fisk Och En Fläsk´s second album "Jungfruburen" (http://hem.passagen.se/tvafisk/e/musik_andra.htm).

Finally, another instrument which I think is genuinely Norwegian is the Bukkehorn.

I have a CD full of only pre-Christian Nordic instruments, check it out here:
http://www.musikarkeolog.se/cd.html
I could possibly make MP3's of this available if you're truly interested.

So while a lot of those are percussion type instruments common to all kinds of nature cultures, among the melodic instruments are various types of flutes, bronze lurs, a Viking age lyre, and some other stuff. Obviously, since most pre-Christian were made out of organic materials such as wood or clay, most of it has decayed with time and is lost forever -- but do NOT make the mistake of thinking there was no music in the Nordic countries prior to Christianity!!! It might have had more of a religious/ritual use rather than art/entertainment, but there were certainly plenty of musical instruments prior to Christianity, though we have little idea how they were played...

Hmm...well I have no idea how to read in Swedish, but is it a free download or something? My teacher would really be interested in this CD and so would I. Well, I am done with my project, but I'd like to continue my research on it in my spare time. Just let me know if you have some great recomendations on sites or bands!

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I couldn't of done it without your help!:headbang:

Here are some more websites:

Wimme (www.rockadillo.fi/wimme)

Jienat (www.jienat.com)

Annbjørg Lien (www.annbjorg.no)

MeNaiset (www.me-naiset.net/enkku/eindex.htm; there are also a few soundsamples you can download, and check out the very useful links-section on their website!)

Kerstin Blodig (www.kerstinblodig.de)

An online-shop where you should find records of (nearly) all the bands already mentioned: www.digelius.com. Since you live in the States, it might be cheaper and more convenient for you to order at NorthSide (www.noside.com).

Yeah, I didn't find any info on it in English. It's not a free download, but if you have DC or something you can download it off me.

What? I never said that. Were you talking about when I was talking about In Extremo?

If you were, they incorporate a bunch of different folk styles into their music. It can be Nordic, Medieval Europe, Arabic, and Celtic folk music.

Celtic folk music is much different than Nordic folk music, but it has similarities.

I'm not sure exactly what you meant about me thinking Celtic music is Nordic music.