I could use some help on this mix

TBlackfeet

Jun 25, 2013
I'm new to these forums and this is the latest track from one of my projects, and lately I haven't been feeling too confident on the mixes. It seems like it's missing something and has too much of something else... I don't really know how to explain it. I'm still working with guitar/bass tones a lot too. I try compare it to professional mixes but mine don't even seem to fit into that category, I've hit a brick wall in what else I could do in my mixes to make it sound better. Could one of you pros out there could give this a listen and give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, so to start, grab the kick drum solo it, add the bass mix those two, making sure you hear both clearly, then add the guitars high pass the guitars enough so that you dont interfere with the bass but still have definition, take some mids out of those guitars, the trick is to mix low then master loud, literally take all of your faders and drop them to like -19 and start there.

drums are buried and competing for space. guitars have too much fizz and boxy mids, vocals sound really thin.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind. And I can partially blame the thins vocals on the room I was stuck with.

EDIT:
Ok I made a bunch of changes and I'd say it sounds a lot better now, any thoughts? And thanks for the tips Goodfellas!

Last edited by a moderator:
still the same... the guitars too fat. too much low end. every instruments are not clear enough, they are fighting each other. EQ them more clearly.