Could someone help a vocalist out?

Ouroboros11

New Metal Member
Dec 20, 2010
Yo guys, I'm a vocalist in need of some help picking out gear. My ADD self gets overwhelmed by all of the options and gear out there and I was looking for some advice:

Recording: My screams are more of the low end type, like opeth, within the ruins, for the fallen dreams, etc. with the not so shreeky but "alexi laiho" kind of highs where they sound very crunchy and round rather than shreeky. I also have a baritone singing voice that I like singing loud as well as some soft ballady stuff with. I was getting an audio Technica AT4040 Condensor mic, and I plan on running it into my interface into logic. The only concern I have is that of effects, because I have heard many mixed opinions on the subject.
Would it be more wise to set up a little rack of my own? With perhaps a reverb/delay/chorous multieffects proccessor and a compressor? or just simply use my plugins in logic? I currently have a TC helicon voiceworks plus but the thing is freaking difficult to figure out, so I was wondering if I should either drill that shit into my head, or just sell it and get a simpler solution?

Live: The reason I added this in is because I was wondering if the rack option would be better for me since I plan on buying gear for a live application of my metal vocals as well.

Cliff Notes:
Looking for a solid effects setup for lower end metal screams and baritone vocals.

All help will be highly appreciated! :kickass: