Could someone school me in GRINDCORE 101?

horggard

grr--hiss--snarl
Jun 17, 2001
Visit site
I'm just starting to delve into this genre--what are some exemplary bands and albums (even labels) to dive into and get lost in?

thanks,
garth

Grindcore is tricky because it's very easy to just be noisy and childish for the sake of it, but here are three albums that are great introductions to grindcore:

Nasum- Inhale/Exhale
Carcass- Symphonies of Sickness
Napalm Death- Death By Manipulation (this is a compilation of various EPs they'd put out up through 1990 or 1991, and it shows both their 'old style' and 'new style [for that time], but has much better production than the earlier Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration albums where most of the songs first appeared)...

Thanks, Jim! I'm going to check those out right now, actually; and check your e-mail today--there'll be a message from me to you.

garth

Actually, I just thought of a better Napalm Death release for 'grindcore'... the Peel Sessions, or Complete BBC sessions, or whatever it's packaged as today... the earlier stuff on there... best production of the earlier stuff ever (later stuff suffocated just like the Harmony Corruption album... ick)... hear Mick Harris be the most insane madman drummer ever!!