Could use some feedback on tech death album I am mixing!

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hey everyone! It has been awhile since I have posted here, but I was recently commissioned to write a "Tech Death" ep for a vocalist.

I am not very familiar with the style but I wrote the tracks and I am finalizing the mix/master.

Would love to get some feedback on the mix/master what needs fixed? I am not sure I am 100% happy with this snare yet.

Thanks

LINK: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...Drew Keedy Project/Dream Void Test Master.mp3

The guitars are feeling kinda thin on my end. Also, the vocals are massively clouding up everything else in the mix. They instantly just brought a shit ton of mids and low mids to the forefront.

The drums feel kinda plastic-y/underwhelming as well. Other than that nothing really stood out to me.

And because I can't help myself, this is definitely not tech death. I guess you were weary of calling it that seeing as you used quotes around it, though :lol:

The guitars are feeling kinda thin on my end. Also, the vocals are massively clouding up everything else in the mix. They instantly just brought a shit ton of mids and low mids to the forefront.

The drums feel kinda plastic-y/underwhelming as well. Other than that nothing really stood out to me.

And because I can't help myself, this is definitely not tech death. I guess you were weary of calling it that seeing as you used quotes around it, though :lol:

Hey dude, I actually totally agree, especially regarding the vocals. We tracked this with an sm7b which I have actually never mixed before. I usually use a condenser mic for tracking vocals which is much clearer.

I cut out some low mids in the guitars/bass to clear things up a bit but i think that was prob not a good choice.
I genuinely appreciate the feedback here!

Thank you!

Hey dude, I actually totally agree, especially regarding the vocals. We tracked this with an sm7b which I have actually never mixed before. I usually use a condenser mic for tracking vocals which is much clearer.

I cut out some low mids in the guitars/bass to clear things up a bit but i think that was prob not a good choice.
I genuinely appreciate the feedback here!

Thank you!

No problem!
Post up any new versions you whip up