Could you die if you seal-proof the window & door in your beedroom/home studio?

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Been wondering about this.. Sounds kind of ridiculous, but whatever..

If you've made your bedroom into a home studio, and then plan to put on a thick glass window and studio-like door (to make it airtight or somewhat sound insulated), could it become dangerous to also sleep in there? (from lack of oxigen, carbon monoxide poisoning)

:Smokedev:
cheerz

You would have to be in there a LONGGGGG time with it fully sealed to run out of air. As for carbon monoxide poising, if the place was sealed I couldn't imagine anything creating it in there. Unless of course you are smoking.

...or somewhat sound insulated), could it become dangerous to also sleep in there? (from lack of oxigen, carbon monoxide poisoning)...

You mean oxygen and carbon dioxide.

As long as you have an AC/heater vent in each compartment/room, you have more than adequate fresh air supply.

The greater question is "could you actually make a room air tight?" It's not likely unless your bedroom is on a submarine or inside a bank vault. Obviously it's possible but it's unlikely you would accidentally achieve that goal.

The greater question is "could you actually make a room air tight?" It's not likely unless your bedroom is on a submarine or inside a bank vault. Obviously it's possible but it's unlikely you would accidentally achieve that goal.

This.
If you even attempted to make it that airtight, you're taking stuff way too seriously.

Well, lets say you are in a regular small bedroom of 4mx3m (12m2) size that is 3m high. Every time you open the door, you get just a bit over 3.333 cubic meters of air = ~3333 litres. According to wikipedia, a normal person breathes about 11000 litres per day. So you basically get about 8 hours of 100% fresh air, after that is a mix of air and co2, which you can easily breathe for weeks until you die from just that air. And when you open the door again, you get a new batch of fresh air.

Besides the fact it would take longer than you sleep to use up all the oxygen in a simple 8x8 room (and that is one small-ass room) as you consume less oxygen while asleep, you can just crack the door slightly. That is of course if you could even manage to make it "air tight", which has no relation to sonic qualities really :p

I'm not sure about what I'm about to say, but if you have plants in there plus being sealed it could be bad for your health. So make sure there are no plants in your room stealing your oxigenz

Maybe I missed something in the biology class, but I got the impression that plants GENERATE oxygen FROM carbon dioxide. I think it's called Photosynthesis.

This

Plants convert CO2 into O2 and animals convert O2 into CO2. So getting some plants in an airtight room would actually help out.

Carbon dioxide is what I was going for, sorry.

I was under the impression airtight (or near isolated) could be somewhat related to soundproofed. I do feel a huge difference if I leave the window a bit open when I sleep (fresh air), and when I don't. I think the excess CO2 makes me sleep more profoundly (or maybe I'm just fackin paranoid). For working on a (composing) session with headphones or monitors is way better for me to leave the window open, except for the fucking nosy neighbors 20 ft away partying-pucking-cursing-fighting/car honks/airplanes passing by/dogs barking/children crying/trucks reversing/doors slamming etc etc etc. I was thinking of inquiring in depot stores about a double paned window for the bedroom.

Not to go as far as 'dying' but I've read confining a space from adecuate ventilation can lower levels of oxigen, which in turn can lead to less concentration and productivity, sleepiness, and even other issues over the long run. When I was beginning at the University the guy who was introducing us to the studio facilities said it could even be dangerous to stay asleep inside the recording room (because it had no AC), that we might not even wake up again (but then again maybe he just didn't want us to sleep through class, or that some couple would turn it into their 'love nest' lol). Maybe that 'teacher' just wanted to brag about how well the noise insulation in that then-recently built studio turned up.
If you install ventilation it means a hole (or two) conecting to the outside I guess? Doesn't the noise escape through there? (bear in mind I'm talking about a home studio, where each household/apartment lies right next to each other)
Do you vent a home studio with AC? and if so, how could it be done without the noise filtering out as well?

By day a plant consumes CO2 and produces oxigen. At night the process is inversed. You share oxigen with the plant and it, too, expels CO2 (less than a human, though).
Not a good idea to sleep near plants, anyway.

Yeah, but photosynthesis only occurs at night. So by day I believe a plant consumes oxygen, NOT SURE though, like I said.

On the contrary... Photo means light (or something to that effect) and we all know plants like sunlight. Photosynthesis can ONLY happen in light ie. day time.

Yeah, but photosynthesis only occurs at night. So by day I believe a plant consumes oxygen, NOT SURE though, like I said.

"Photo" comes from the Greek for "light" or "shining" - photosynthesis literally means "produced by light". It is a chemical reaction completely dependant on light to occur. You are talking utter nonsense of the highest order. You might as well be suggesting that sound is made by tiny air creatures playing Chinese whispers all the way from the source to your ear drum.

Also carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide both kill you, but monoxide is far more toxic than dioxide; it kills you faster, and it's odourless, colourless, tasteless, and it bonds with haemoglobin which stops oxygen being transported around your bloodstream. Most Western countries have laws on acceptable levels of CO in the workplace, and it's normally around 50 parts per million - CO2 needs around 15% concentration to kill you quickly, which is thousands and thousands of times higher.

All of which is completely irrelevant, as any room made out of regular building materials will never be airtight - bricks, mortar, wood, plaster and paint are all porous and breathable to some degree. If it was airtight, it would be very hot from all the equipment as most sound good insulators are heat insulators too. It would be humid from the moisture on your breath and all the sweat you and anyone else would be producing. Even without taking air quality into consideration it would be a really horrible place to work.

Steve

By day a plant consumes CO2 and produces oxigen. At night the process is inversed. You share oxigen with the plant and it, too, expels CO2 (less than a human, though).
Not a good idea to sleep near plants, anyway.

I was right then.

But anyways, I think it's a bit impossible to seal to the point of no oxygen getting inside