could your old favorites make it today

whitey131

May 2, 2005
So let's say a band from the past was starting today playing thier songs as they stood do you think they could get a record deal today?

For example could Van Halen release Van Halen II today and based on that material land a deal or have it sell well? Assuming decent label support?

How about
Metallica Master of puppets
SOWN
POT
Seasons in the abyss
Led Zepplin III
Practice What you preach
Lights Camera Revolution
Operation Mind crime
LOAD/Reload
Peace Sells....
Risk
St. Anger

I think if Risk and St. Anger were released today under diffeernt band names they would flop flop flop

At least here in Europe, metal seems to be bigger than ever. I think most of the albums you listed (Not Load, Risk or St. Anger) would do just fine. Of course the record sales wouldn't be as big as they were, but that's just the way it goes these days. Fact is there will never be another Thriller or Appetite For Destruction, but good music will always prevail.

Actually, I think people who like the type of music that was on Risk were probably scared off by the name Megadeth.

I kind of think you're right. I didn't like risk but I though load and reload were decent...just not metal. They were like stone temple pilots or sound garden type rock.

St. Anger I think was total crap. They tried to hard to be heavy and too hard to make it sound like it was recorded in garage.

I belive most of them would do well. Add current production and most would still be relevant. I think Faith No Mores "Angel Dust" is one of those albums that never been on the age-scale.

I kind of think you're right. I didn't like risk but I though load and reload were decent...just not metal. They were like stone temple pilots or sound garden type rock.

St. Anger I think was total crap. They tried to hard to be heavy and too hard to make it sound like it was recorded in garage.

I liked a couple songs on St Anger, but overall I agree. I thought Load was actually pretty good. Musically not metal, but lyrically I thought it was great. With respect to the subject matter, it just seemed like the outward tough guy exterior was stripped away, and what was left was kind of a totally bare soul. Songs like Mama Said and Outlaw Torn just seemed to really hit me in the heart.

Ok, I'm starting to sound gay or something.

Funnily enough I listened to the entire Joey era records whilst at work yesterday and the only one I feel that hasn't dated and would be a success today is POT. That's not to say the others aren't any good (although I still think ATL is way overrated). I'm listening to the Bush era today and my feeling is that only SOWN would be a success (which IS the case anyway).

I think Faith No Mores "Angel Dust" is one of those albums that never been on the age-scale.

Spot on. Seriously FNM had the biggest set of balls with that album - whilst the label was expecting The Real Thing II they said fuck it - lets release what the hell we want and we got that absolutely non-genre definable timeless classic.

I seriously hope they sit down and try to record something new.

I find there is a real swing though amongst a lot of the newer younger generation of Metal fans to embrace the older stuff. It's almost like every older metal band is now back in vogue with the younger generation - after all the nu metal, emo fueled metalcore of late it's rather refreshing - teenagers wanting to listen to where it all began (not just with the big 4 era but beyond that with the NWOBHM and Sabbath/Zep/etc). Not sure if this trend is the same in the US or Europe but here in Oz you will find a lot of younger kids who love Bullet for my Valentine will also be getting right into earlier metal from the decade of the 80s.

Spot on. Seriously FNM had the biggest set of balls with that album - whilst the label was expecting The Real Thing II they said fuck it - lets release what the hell we want and we got that absolutely non-genre definable timeless classic.

I seriously hope they sit down and try to record something new.

Yeah, I feel the same way. A lot of people were WTF when that album came out. And after that, they went a total other direction with King for a day.
A new FNM disc would make my decade.