Country Music

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
Is anybody into country music and by country music I don't mean Tim McGraw or Kenny Chesney I'm talking about the good shit. Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniles, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard. The traditional stuff.

I'm a big, big, big fan of Lee Hazlewood if you know him? It's not really country, but more country-pop. His earlier work (early 60's) is pretty country, but he changed into more of a pop sound during the 60's. The reason I like him is because of his slow sad songs, as they are almost always superb! I think the only songs I like of his uptempo country songs are "Poet, fool or bum" & "Big red balloon". He also has some kind of midtempo kind of country stuff on his "Lee Hazlewoodism - It's cause & cure" record. They're also good, except for "Suzi Jane is back in town" and "The girls in Paris".
I haven't heard that much Johnny Cash, but I think "Ring of fire" is alright. Maybe because it's kind of fun.
I have a record by Merle Haggard, but the only song I like on that is "Song from "Sleep walk"". If I'm not mistaken it's from a film.

I grew up around blue grass and country music, so it's only natural I would continue to listen to it. As for country, I listen to a lot of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (senior), Willie Nelson, Johnny Horton, Waylon Jennings, and occassionally I might pop in some Charlie Daniels. I prefer country, not this southern rock-esque trash you see on CMT.

yeah there is some pretty cool stuff out there which like, though i dont know too much about country & western.

my dad once met johnny cash on the detroit airport when he waited several hours for his connection flight, and both were boozing all night, flying with cash's private jet to vegas, boozing, gambling and then going back. :eek:

I grew up on Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty and Don Williams - that's pretty much all I ever listened to until I heard "Live After Death" in 1986. Still a big country fan, but I have no interest in the new stuff - the only singer I like who could be considered "new" that I like is Dwight Yoakam, who is a genius, but he's hardly new either seeing as he's been around since the 80s.

Willie Nelson for me, plus the bands Spiffy mentioned (seeing as we grew up on them together!). Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, too, particularly the stuff they did together. The Gambler is still one of my favourite movies! :) :lol:

I guess if more country artist's sounded more in the vein of Johnny Cash I'd be more open minded.But too many of them sound whiny.Johnny actually sounds like he can brawl.