couple more questions

r_young112

aspiring shredder
Dec 2, 2006
milwaukee, WI
first in regard to my previous thread, what do you think of when you play? do you think of the theory, or notes, or what goes through your head?

second, when you were a kid growing up, when you practiced did you ever have to deal with the mental aspect of sitting down and playing for however many hours a day, i find that im motivated to do it nowadays, but i just dont have the will power to go for more then 4 hours

4 hours a day is still more than most people are willing to practice I am going on 5 today and will probably put in one more.

first in regard to my previous thread, what do you think of when you play? do you think of the theory, or notes, or what goes through your head?

second, when you were a kid growing up, when you practiced did you ever have to deal with the mental aspect of sitting down and playing for however many hours a day, i find that im motivated to do it nowadays, but i just dont have the will power to go for more then 4 hours

the problem with question one is that I think of all of those things and nothing sometimes depending on the situation. If I know a solo like the back of my hand, I just sit back and listen to it as if it were a CD playing, but if I am Improving over some complex chord changes I am seeing the notes I am playing and utilizing the theory to phase the changes well.

Second: yes I did. Sometimes it was horrible to continue, and thinking back on it maybe I should have just put the guitar down for a little while. The truth is that if you love doing what you are doing then the practice will happen, but anything can get old after a while.

Chris.

yeah, it's encouraging1 I have to increase my practice to AT LEAST 3 hours a day, ONLY on classical guitar for my uni course, and then do electric practice on top of that, so it's gonna be tough to stay motivated, but in the end it will definately be worth it if i can stay disciplined...

Yeah I know what you mean, when I go visit my sister, who's at a music college, the day I get back I practice for so long, and do technical things

It would help your motivation being in the uni course, wouldnt it? I mean, being surrounded by musicians is something that I've needed. It seems to have helped over the last year.

Yeah, it will, and it'll be a real challenge, cos I'm the only Classical guitarist doing the Diploma, all the rest are Degree students, so I'm gonna be hard pressed to keep up to scratch... At least it will give me something to work towards, to get up to everybody elses level, and hopefully next year I can do the degree as well...