Couple of Beat Detective Questions

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
OK...I've been trying to edit drums using the Nuendo "workaround method" (basically slicing, quantizing and crossfading) and I've gotten the hang of it OK, but Nuendo and/or my computer can't handle trying to mess with that many crossfades at once. A buddy of mine has a Pro Tools HD studio that I help at from time to time, and he said I could bring the tracks in there and he'd teach me how to use Beat Detective.
Has anyone ever imported files from Nuendo or Cubase into PT for this reason, and if so, how did you handle the tempo track? I wonder if I should try to generate a tempo map using MIDI or something? I guess I could just write down all the tempo changes and bar numbers to reprogram into Pro Tools, but there are quite a few time changes, plus lots of things like bumping the choruses up 2 or 3 BPM, etc., so that would be kind of a pain. Anyone know of an easier way?

Secondly, Andy or anyone else who's used Beat Detective for this kind of music, any quick tips I should know going in? I've read people say things like, "only do 'fill gaps', dont use the crossfade; it ends up being more work than doing it manually." Is this valid advice? And if I do need to use crossfades, is there any particular setting I should start with that may get me there 90% of the time for drums?

I know it's going to take me long enough to learn the program, so any head start I can get will be much, much appreciated.

Thanks!!

If I am not mistaken you have to save them as and .ofm file. I think....

I do this ALL THE TIME!!!!
between SX and PT and vice versa best way to get drum tracks out is to bounce them all in sx so they are "flat ended" (all start at the same time and at the begining of the project)

now pop these files in a new dir

to export the time line related info just export a midi file...all the tempo changes are saved too.

now start a new PT session first import the midi file.... this will sort out the grid for you

now import the bounced drum tracks and your ready to beat detective a go go!

Have fun!

C