COURTNEY LOVE Claims SMASHING PUMPKINS' Biggest Hits Were About Her

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to The Pulse Of Radio, Courtney Love has claimed in a new interview that the SMASHING PUMPKINS' biggest songs were written about her and that the band stopped having hits when frontman Billy Corgan ceased writing about her. Love told BBC Radio 6, "There are so many of them that are about me: [the album] 'Siamese Dream', 'Bodies' and 'Today'. He stopped writing about me and then he stopped making hits. There's one on 'Siamese Dream' called 'Spaceboy' that's about his brother, but the rest are all pretty much about me."Love and Corgan dated briefly before she met NIRVANA's Kurt Cobain, whom she eventually married.Love added that another of her rock star relationships — with NINE INCH NAILS frontman Trent Reznor — inspired another PUMPKINS track. She explained, "'Where Boys Fear To Tread' was about me and Trent and how mad he was about that."Corgan has collaborated with Love in the years since — he wrote several songs on HOLE's "Celebrity Skin" album, including the chart-topping title track, and also wrote two songs on the band's 2010 album "Nobody's Daughter", although they were used without his permission.Meanwhile, a new SMASHING PUMPKINS album, "Monuments To An Elegy", is tentatively due for release on December 9.

More...