Cowboys From Hell Remaster....WHAT THE FUCKKKKKK HAPPENEDDDD?????

jackbraglia

Jul 27, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
www.vitalmastering.com
ok so I get home from a night of drinking and have the urge to listen to Pantera's Cowboys From Hell album (I'm sure this is a common occurrence :headbang:) so I go on spotify since I'm too wasted and lazy to grab the actual cd, and see that there was a "remastered" version of the album. So I of course play it and am suddenly blown away by the ridiculous amount of hi frequencies that have been added to the mix. I'm sure I'm super fucking late on discovering this, but what the fuck is going on here? was this remastered by some geezer who has lost all hearing beyond 12k??? it hurts to listen to more than 10 seconds of it. is this for real? is this some spotify fuck-up? or am i just THAT drunk????:OMG:

going to take a listen to it now, brb.

EDIT: OH JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ITS WORSE THAT DREAM THEATER'S "GREATEST HIT" ALBUM!!!

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

TheWinterSnow said:
going to take a listen to it now, brb.

EDIT: OH JESUS FUCKING CHRIST ITS WORSE THAT DREAM THEATER'S "GREATEST HIT" ALBUM!!!

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

I never heard that greatest hits, was it mastered wierdly or something? Sounds silly, couldn't they just normalize the quietest ones, probably a tiny bit of compression and leave them as they are?

Just listened to the dream theater remix of pull me under as well. What the hell have they done?!?! Sounds awful!

Just had a listen, and there is no way someone would release this, it's incredible. The hi-hat is just...wow

seriously man, it sounds like a 4-6db hi-shelf was applied...for no fucking reason.

so no one has any insight as to what happened? there's no article about it out there on the internets? I did a little googling and found nothing very negative about it. There's so little that this very thread appears on the first damn page of search results! I mean, some people actually are praising this remaster saying it sounds much more clear (these people are obviously fools).

blabbermouth had a post about it 2 years ago when it came out(http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com...'s+Daily+Headlines)&utm_content=Google+Reader) but I don't think they actually even listened to it...

have you heard the vulgar display remaster?

I haven't actually, I have the original on cd, but I can't imagine the remaster is any better if it was done by this same guy. I mean i can admit that cowboys from hell could use a touch more OH in the mix, but this guy turned that hi-hat into something that sounds more like static than it does an instrument.