crappy room. need help with set up.

padr81

Feb 27, 2010
Hi guys i've got a spare bedroom i need to move my studio stuff into as i've had to move again and have no garage. Its awful shape but my kids and missus claimed the other rooms so I have no choice but to set up here.

Its funny shaped and i have no idea where to set up my desk, monitors etc... there will be no live amps etc... Also im thinking of investing in some acoustic treatment so any and all recommendations for what i should buy and where i should put it would be much appreciated. I presume seeing as theres so many corners i'll need alot of bass trapping? Any advice much appreciated (except find another room). As you can see form the crappy wardrobe and window i'm new to sketchup, the measurements are close but not perfect only out by a couple of inches here and there though.

Also i was thinking of turning the inbuilt wardrobe into and isolation cabinet if i could work it somewhere.

Anyway on to my bad sketchup pictures....

mix%20room%20wall1.png

door%20walls.png

mix%20room%20flat%20wall.png

mix%20room%20window%20wall.png

Can the wardrobe be removed? If not, you're in serious trouble with the acoustics, since it will be pretty much impossible to achieve even a somewhat symmetrical listening environment. If you can remove the wardrobe, then I would place the desk in front of the window, put superchunks in all the corners except the one with the door, obviously and place broadband absorbers in the early reflection points to the left, right and back walls and the ceiling.

Also, could you post the dimensions of the room? I'm assuming the door is 90cm wide, but it would be nice to see the actual dimensions.

Can the wardrobe be removed? If not, you're in serious trouble with the acoustics, since it will be pretty much impossible to achieve even a somewhat symmetrical listening environment. If you can remove the wardrobe, then I would place the desk in front of the window, put superchunks in all the corners except the one with the door, obviously and place broadband absorbers in the early reflection points to the left, right and back walls and the ceiling.

Also, could you post the dimensions of the room? I'm assuming the door is 90cm wide, but it would be nice to see the actual dimensions.

cheers jarko, i'll add measurement and reupload, unfortunately the wardrobe units are built in and the house is rented.

I don't know what it's worth since I never used the service, but Auralex has a free personalized room alnaysis service. I think you will need to either email them your schematics or fax them.

Here's your link
http://www.auralex.com/pcf/free.asp

In your case, my first intuition would be to say that you probably can't have a (very) good listening environment with this kind of configuration, but then again, acoustic is a whole science in itself, so I'll leave it to the experts.