Room importance when recording guitars???

i get where you're coming from, all i can say is that i spend a lot of time playing and recording in this room...the bare walls, egg crates, and plywood all have a different sound to my ears; the bare walls being the most unpleasant of the 3

Dude, repeat after me... RIGID FIBERGLASS

Egg cartons do less than jack shit. Sorry, but that's physics. If you can't find rigid fiberglass (try a heating & cooling place) you can substitute with rockwool (under the ROXUL brand) found at your local Home Depot. Cover with cloth & mount on your walls & in the corners. Stagger the mountings so you have alternate covered & bare patches. You should notice a MAJOR improvement.

-0z-

Dude, repeat after me... RIGID FIBERGLASS

Egg cartons do less than jack shit. Sorry, but that's physics. If you can't find rigid fiberglass (try a heating & cooling place) you can substitute with rockwool (under the ROXUL brand) found at your local Home Depot. Cover with cloth & mount on your walls & in the corners. Stagger the mountings so you have alternate covered & bare patches. You should notice a MAJOR improvement.

-0z-

we've got a long way to go in our room construction wise, now that we've got a decent recording setup, we've got some more drum mics to buy and that's next on our list

believe me, the room doesn't sound great with egg crates but with half a dozen sheets of plywood to move around as we please it's not too bad

but given that we recieved thousands of free eggcrates, and a shitload of adhesive v.s. the sound of the bare concrete...and my drummer/bassist offered to put them all up, i didn't argue :)

I found that the room does play a part in the sound depending on the size of the room, I ended up building a small iso cab to reduce the impact of the room on recording, once I did that the sound was much better, will post some pics and samples

i said that the eggcrate covered wall was pretty dead, not completely

it's dead sounding moreso than plywood, and much more than concrete

btw...this is what we're using

MB018.jpg
So, do you smell like eggs now?

Egg crate foam man, and it sucks there are much better mattress topers.

http://www.domesticbin.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/25911018.html

damn, i had a production in the djungle in the north of thailand last year an we had to literally sleep on the floor with ants, spiders snakes and everything creeping around.....
after the 3rd night i partly ripped the studio (in the bamboo.hut) i improvised apart and slept on the cheapo foam absorber things (that 2cm egg-crate-style-stuff)...
it was horrible!
it sticks to your back (at least in that heat) and makes your back feel like.......
have you ever fucked on a carpet? think about what that does to your knees....that'S how my entire back felt like ;)

sorry for OT......anyway...