Treating my "control room" & "live room", thoughts??

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey guys,

Here's the deal. I have a room that is about 16'x16' right now that I do most of my mixing, etc. in. I have most of my amps in here and do most of my playing in here. I'd like to do some acoustic treatment to optimize the results that I get.

My plan is to follow the 38% rule, which is difficult in this room. I'm pretty close to the front wall, and depending on where I sit, I'm already 38% towards into the room from that front wall.

What would be ideal acoustic treatment for such a small room? I plan on making my own bass traps. From what I've read so far, placing as much as I can on this front wall is very important. Also, placing traps at ear level on the opposing side walls. As well as placing traps in all of the corners.

Does this sound sufficient enough for a mixing environment?

Lastly, I plan on micing my amps in my bedroom. It is adjacent to this mixing room, around 20' away. I think it will be a better micing environment because it is smaller and has a more "dead" sound already due to carpeting and the amount of "stuff" in the room.

How should I optimize this room? I plan on getting the cab off of the floor to decouple it to reduce boomy guitar recordings. What are the other important spots to take care of? Acoustic panels on the sides and in front of the cab? Can I get away with not treating the walls in this room if this is the case?

Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
-Joe

I would suggest putting the bass traps in the corners of the rooms. I did a lot of searching on this, and I found that Ethan Whiner has some of the best information out there. Check out his website, he even has some videos you can watch which are extremely informative. But definitely treat the corners, not just the front wall. Also, your rear wall is probably going to be more important to treat than the front wall, because you don't want the sound bouncing back at you, thus creating short and early reflections, comb filtering etc.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of Ethan's stuff, it's where I got my few ideas from. Just wanted some opinions from you guys. Yes, definitely gonna treat the back wall too.

Is it important to treat corners floor to ceiling?

-Joe

Damn, so I find out that I'm at a disadvantage because I have a square room. It's actually smaller than I had previously stated, it's 11x11.

Hmmm...So treating floor to ceiling corners is a given. How about ceiling to wall corners? Is it necessary to run treatment the entire length of all corners of the room?

-Joe