Any ideas on treating my living room/"control room"?

I have a question.

So the Ethan Winer panels have an air gap between the rigid fiberglass and the plywood skin.

The sae college ones have the insulation glued onto the back of the plywood skins.

The Winer ones, it seems woud allow the sound to transform into mechanical vibration more freely. However the sae ones would dampen that mechanical vibration but may also (if I am correct in this) lessen the reflection back into the room?

Or am I just :erk:in off here? Is there no difference?

Ok...sorry for the delay. As promised I've uploaded files to my ftp folder. Sorry...I don't know how to make a direct link to the files. In the folder called Room Treatments, you'll find a zip with Jon Risch's Tube Traps, complete with pictures. There's also a zip with construction of my own tube traps, panel absorbers (ignore the photo model...sorry Bob! LOL), and my "metropolis" ceiling treatment. :) It breaks the rules of acoustic treatment. It's partly reflective, partly absorptive...so it's part absorption, part diffusor. It really did the trick for the listening position sweet spot. But it also looked really cool and got lots of comments. :)

thanks for the upload man, they look good!

thanks for the upload man, they look good!

Thanks! Used in conjunction with Auralex stuff, they worked really great, and for a fraction of the price.

I have a question.

So the Ethan Winer panels have an air gap between the rigid fiberglass and the plywood skin.

The sae college ones have the insulation glued onto the back of the plywood skins.

The Winer ones, it seems woud allow the sound to transform into mechanical vibration more freely. However the sae ones would dampen that mechanical vibration but may also (if I am correct in this) lessen the reflection back into the room?

Or am I just :erk:in off here? Is there no difference?

I studied a LITTLE bit of acoustic engineering, but I'm by NO means an expert. There's probably other people on here that can answer that better. But when I made mine, I didn't like these two points you brought up either. Because of that, and part laziness :), I made mine much simpler. Just a panel of fiberglass, wrapped with cloth and hot glued, pushed into the wood frame and glued in place, and then just hung on the wall. Mine probably are not as effective as the others, but they worked great. And an advantage, if I wanted the room to sound more "live", I could easily take a few down when needed. I made two different sizes: 4 inch (deep) wood frames with a single 2inch thick panel, leaving a 2 inch air gap. And 6 inch frames, with single panel, leaving a 4 inch gap, or double up on the panels, leaving a 2 inch gap.

Like I said, I'm sure mine are not as effective as the others, since the backs are not sealed up. But that was more trouble than I wanted to go through, and these worked fine for me.

If you want to get really deep into acoustics, there is a subforum over at recording.org (where Ethan posted a lot) that is entirely about room treatment/construction. http://www.recording.org/forum-34.html I haven't been there in a while, but there was always really good info. there.

Yeah I read a lot of that forum. Lots of n00bs posting the same stuff over and over, with Ethan and other regulars posting links to the same pages and articles in response :loco:

With the occasional piece of new and useful information.

I'm gonna go ahead and put a resonator at the 1st reflection point above me, surround that with absorbing panels kinda like yours, and straddle the floor/wall corner on one side, and put something (not sure what yet) on the other flor/ceiling corner where a straddle will not work cuz it's already angled off (ie not a 90 degree corner, but a straight up/angled off/perpendicular ceiling sort of deal). I may straddle it anyways, it's not 45 degrees, it's more like a 6-12 pitch.

I'm straddling the wall corner (filled it in, as well, and it's bumped out like homeplate or Superman's logo) and hanging 4 by 4 resonators at the sides. Yes, I am jammed in a corner... :erk:

I don't know if that other forum pointed you to John Sayer's forum. I just now remembered about it. I think this is the place I meant to send you. http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php There are a lot of acoustic engineers that hang out here, so the theory and engineering can get kind of complex. But there's a lot of info and calculators.

Let's see some pictures when you get done!

Coming real soon. I ran outta furring strips and I have to order rock wool. But I got the cloud up, both panels up (one not yet lathed) and about half a superchunk in the corner.

Sounds killer already; I've got better stereo separation, and I can actually hear bass frequencies. Hell, I actually have to listen more quietly than before. No wonder I got so ear-fatigued so fast before. :lol:

My pile of rock wool:
superchunk.jpg

I made it far too complicated. It's a 2 foot triangle stack with a vertical full bat and a half facing, making it home-plate shaped. I just wanted it to come out a ways so it wasn't set too deeply between the panels. Oh, and the fucky angles at the top where the bevelled wall-ceiling corner was a joy to frame out :zombie:

I made a little box so I could get to the power outlet.

The superchunk is wrapped in polyester batting and then fabric.

My stacked and wrapped superchunk, 4' by 4' panels, and cloud:
supercorner.jpg

The cloud is made with 2" by 2" inside framing and 1" by 4" boxing. 2" rockwool is layered perpendicularly inside, then wraped with polyester batting and fabric. It is 4 feet by 4 feet, with a dogeared font (homeplate shaped, or maybe like the Superman logo :lol: )

The recessed light in there is a compact flourescent that doesn't make noise.

My corner:
corner.jpg

There it is. I have yet to trim out the corner thing. I also have to put a laminate flooring thing under my chair, since the cheap-ass office chair pad has cracked over my far too thick carpeting. :erk: