Micing cab, how crucial is room?

Inseminator

Mar 15, 2010
...is there some possibility of getting noises (echoes etc..) from room when micing very close to the cab...? I mean, sm57 is very directional and recording volumes are high - so these noises could be deleted by loudness of source itself... or...?
Should I get some noise-dampening material I put on the sides of cab?

Thanks in advance:)

I.

there will be an spl where your direct signal overwhelms that over the indirect signal, but I am going to presume that you're not recording that loud.

So, very indeed!

It depends how big your room is and what the walls are made of/covered with, but usually the amp will totally drown out the room sound. I place bass traps around my cab usually when I record anyhow.

Just being realistic - most people will disagree for some reason

It depends how big your room is and what the walls are made of/covered with, but usually the amp will totally drown out the room sound. I place bass traps around my cab usually when I record anyhow.

Just being realistic - most people will disagree for some reason

I agree. The room needs to be large and dead enough to not cause serious build up/null point issues. Obviously having a great room is great, but micing a cab from 1" makes the room far less critical than in a situation like vocals or drums.

I've seen setups where the the cab was in a box- I tried that once and it sounded awful. I can post a clip of the vacuum tube terror I'm guessing the shit load of egg-crates didn't do the trick hahaha (mind that what when I first started recording)... Trial and error hahaha

As for volume I always tracked where it was between self-practice and rehearsal level... Never saw the need to have it way loud, just enough to get the crunch or bite or whatever you were after.

Nice Thread
I recently moved into a new house and the basement sounds awesome! It's Carpeted but the room seems to resonate great. Also has a medium sized storage room with concrete walls and unfinished floor. I thought about trying the storage room, surrounding the cab with cushions and then trying out a room mic for fun. Also in the main basement there's a small part with a tile floor. haha so many options!