tried micing a guitar cab from behind

beyond dead

heavy metal dad \m/
Sep 26, 2007
peterborough, ontario, canada
So for a couple years I had stuck to using a 57, on axis where the cap meets the cone about an inch from the grille. I messed around with fredman technique and blending a condenser for rock stuff, but usually stuck to the tried and true technique ala sneap.

After reading the adam d article, I got thinking about trying something new, and began thinking maybe extreme close micing isnt the best way to go, I was never quite happy with my guitar recordings, maybe I should try something other than close micing.

Luckily I have a decent sounding room, so there wasnt any nasty reflections or anything to worry about. So I started micing from about 5-7 inches back, but it was really thin. I mixed in a 57 ala sneap, it really brought the low mids up, and gave them definition.

But I couldnt find a happy medium with my amp settings to get a good mix of "ooohmf" and "sizzle".
I had a LDC hooked up, as I was recording vocals yesterday. I decided to toss it behind the cab. WOW! what a difference. The track seems to give you the "oohmf" and the "sizzle"!

When I mute the LDC track, the guitar sounds thin and focused (a good thing) but lacks the oohmf.

Its funny, because when the track (behind the cab) is soloed, it doesnt sound overly woofy. I have even been using this technique for solos, and it works great!

The project Im reamping is an alternative / hard rock type deal, so It doesnt contain much fast, heavy riffing. Im anxious to see how this method will work for faster, heavier stuff.

If anyone is interested, I will post a clip :)

I did the same thing ( at a friend's place, 3 or 4 years ago, bob rock's idea on some vox video) but it was a 57 on the cone and a 421 on the back...it sounded really good for mid tempo riffs

Clips please! :)

There was an interview with Bob Rock where he told he wanted some extra meat on the guitarsound during a Metallica recording.
He placed an extra mike BEHIND the cab, put an compressor on it, flipped the sound 180 degrees and mixed that in.

They used between 8 and 10 mics for the black album guitars. Some were for subtractive tone. I believe there were some ambient mics but they were quickly done away with in mixing.

here is a clip with the mic behind the cab in the mix. the rhythms are quadtracked. not really the type of music most of us listen to. keep in mind I have done no vocal editing / tuning and have not done much to the drums yet.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1719400/gtr sound mesa.wav

ill post one without later, Im kinda busy at the moment.

not sure if it is what most people would prefer as far as tone goes, and its not "perfect" in my opinion, but its alot closer to what I have been going for. anxious to try the windsor with this micing technique. hell, both amps have sounded 100% better since I started using a rectifier cab!

edit: the windsor was used for the little "solo" thingy near the end

hmm maybe im just crazy but that tone reminds me of deftones "adrenaline"

interesting. I never drew that connection, but come to mention it, it does! I think it kinda has a bit of the A.R.T era deftones bottom end. Not sure why so many bands around here are into the 90`s nu type stuff, but it seems that I am mostly recording these types of bands. I wish the playing was a bit better. cant wait to have time to work on my own music so I can see what how the micing technique works for heavier stuff.

others have mentioned blending mics for subtractive reasons, Im not flipping the phase on the "behind the cab" track, I figured that as long as the 3:1 rule was applied i would be okay. I dont notice any loss in volume or energy when the track is blended, but maybe what Im liking is the way this track is altering the phase of the other mics, sweetening their tonal characteristics...

others have mentioned blending mics for subtractive reasons, Im not flipping the phase on the "behind the cab" track, I figured that as long as the 3:1 rule was applied i would be okay. I dont notice any loss in volume or energy when the track is blended, but maybe what Im liking is the way this track is altering the phase of the other mics, sweetening their tonal characteristics...

Yea, the whole phase thing is similar to mic'ing a snare top and bottom. One mic is receiving a compression while the other must be experiencing a rarefaction. So inherently they must be out of phase with each other to some degree is seems.