Cream Abdul Babar - Excavation 95-98

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Cream Abdul Babar – Excavation 95-98
Public Guilt – 2004
By Adam McAuley

cream.gif

This release contains Cream Abdul Babar’s entire first album, as well as a collection of various re-recorded other tracks. While the latter are the most diverse and interesting, I can’t help being taken in by the charming quality of their early material. The band plays a very effective and unique blend of stoner rock, hardcore and, surprisingly, ska.

Fans of greats like Kyuss should find a lot to like here, but so should anyone looking for fun, well played music that’s hard to classify as either rock or metal. The first thing you’ll notice when playing the album, aside from some strange song titles (“Jennifer Aniston’s Pussy”, for example), is the heavy use of trombone. This is done tastefully and blended well into the music. A healthy dose of the instrument isn’t what you’d normally expect with a Sabbath influenced outfit like this, but they make good use of it. The mood in the first disc shifts once in a while from relaxed to bombastic, and otherwise, but only starts to drag on a bit towards the end. Generally, it’s a really fun CD with euphoric lyrics, exciting choruses and plenty of enthusiasm carrying it along.

The second disc is more varied, as previously stated, but contains some useless filler like the piano and sound effect laden “Sub Unit Injection”. There’s an indie flavor in a couple of the second disc songs that reminds me quite a bit of Sonic Youth. Interesting, but I think the first CD is more solid and gives a better value throughout. Pick up the compilation if you want to experience an exciting stoner rock band that successfully incorporates other musical influences at their infancy, and at other stages of their existence. A quality compilation.

??/10

Official Public Guilt website
Official Cream Abdul Babar website