Crematory - Remind

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Crematory - Remind
Nuclear Blast - 2001
By Philip Whitehouse

Crematory, Germany's premier gothic metal band, have decided to call it quits after ten years at the top of their game. Instead of fading away into the background, however, they leave us with a double CD reminding us of just how damned good they actually were.
The first disc in this double pack is a live album including songs from all of their previous albums, which showcases their talent for mixing crushingly heavy metal with melodic touches and synths to make music which at one moment could put one in mind of death metal, and the next remind you of My Dying Bride.

Highlights from this disc include the powerful live favourite, 'Tears Of Time', and Crematory's cover of The Sisters Of Mercy's 'Temple Of Love'. I never liked the original version of that song, but Crematory add just enough metallic attitude to the old version to make it hold my attention.

The second disc contains rare, unreleased songs and early demos from 1992. Tears Of Time again makes an appearance, this time sung in German. Along with this, two bonus tracks are included, 'Do You Know' and 'Welcome To...'

All in all, this is an excellent release from a band with an excellent pedigree. The perfect way to get into Crematory, and the best going-away present the band could have given their fans.

You can read the original review here . Post your comments below!