CRIONICS - HUMAN ERROR (WAYS TO SELF DESTRUCTION)

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
CRIONICS - Human Error (Ways to Self Destruction)

crionics_cd_human-error_L.jpg

1. Satanic Syndrome 666
2. Waterfalls Of Darkness
3. Lunatic Gate
4. Hallowed Whores
5. Crionics
6. Episode Of The Falling Star
7. Matrix Of Piety
8. Percipice Gaped
9. Sacrosanct Strength
10. Indoctrination Procedure

Label: Candlelight Records
Release date: 2004
Artist site:
http://www.crionics.prv.pl
GRADE:
8/10

BEHEMOTH and DECAPITATED better be looking over their collective shoulders and fans of both bands need to sit up and take notice. Poland has another force to be reckoned with, known as CRIONICS. Formed in 1997, the band released a demo, which featured a cover of EMPEROR's "I Am The Black Wizards" classic and a mini-LP entitled Beyond The Blazing Horizon on Demonic Records before the label folded. That recording is only available through the band via CD-R now, but they are signed to Candlelight and their latest, Human Error (Ways To Self Destruction) is blackened death of mammoth proportions.

The spiral descent into Hell that is "Satanic Syndrome 666" brings to mind the aforementioned bands mixed with a hefty dose of DARK FUNERAL. I adore the riff that starts off the next track, "Waterfalls Of Darkness." It's sick and twisted before dropping out a moment to allow the synth and drums glide into the verse. These guys are excellent musicians, as evidenced by the solo section of this song. "Lunatic Gate" carries on the consistency, as CRIONICS continue raising the bar, catapulting them into the upper echelons of the elite very early in the game. Whether blasting or double bass groovin', these guys are always ON.

Check out the NOCTURNUS type leads that kick off "Hallowed Whores." Tasty drippings of audial sauce, indeed. I also dig the band's namesake song, it reminds me of Enthrone... era DIMMU BORGIR, with better vocals. Nice blasts filled with eerie synth runs. "Episode Of The Falling Star" begins with an atmospheric, somber synth that quickly blasts into a song that truly sounds like a long lost track to the EMPEROR masterpiece Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, only with a meatier production. They continue blazing forward with fury throughout the remaining duration of the CD, but mention must be made of "Sacrosanct Strength," as it's execution is top notch.

So, truth be told, Poland may very well have new hometown metal heroes. I know I will be waiting to see what their contemporaries put out next. Until then, look for this one and pick it up, it's got my stamp of approval.

PJ