NEW REVIEWS: Evergrey, Suffocation, Finntroll, and more

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
New Reviews:

CRIONICS - Human Error (Ways to Self Destruction)
EVERGREY - The Inner Circle
FINNTROLL - Nattfodd
GOD FORBID - Gone Forever
KATAKLYSM - Serenity in Fire
SUFFOCATION - Souls to Deny [Staff Pick of the Week]
TOOL - Lateralus

:Spin:

Nice reviews all around. I just don't think I could make myself buy that Finntroll, though. I saw it for like $6 the other day.

Lateralus is a damn masterpiece. GoNAD was right on.

Once the humour of Finntroll wore off and I still enjoyed the album, I realized they were a pretty good band.

Lateralus is the best album to surface from the 00's so far, and only 1 of 3 albums I'd give a 10/10 to (Kayo Dot and Jerry Cantrell hold those other perfect scores).

Still need to get some Suffocation, maybe I should start with this new one.

Demonspell said:
Even though I disagree with the rating, I thought the Evergrey review was very well written and does a good job of detailing the effect of the album's theme upon the listener....
I have to admit, when I first heard the new Evergrey, I thought it was a side step too. Now I think it is very, very good. I think it's better than Recreation Day, but not as good as ISftT or SDT.

ChiefB - "Recreation Day", to my ear, was their worst CD ever. "Inner Circle" is a return to form.

EvilC - right on with the God Forbid review. They've taken a huge step up with this disc.

Papa Josh - this disc is my introduction to Kataklysm. So while I can't comment on their previous CDs, this disc is better than a 5.9.

Zod

I dont think "Inner Circle" is a return to form at all... i think it is their most "different" album yet, in that it totally eschews one of the mainstays of the Evergrey sound: the riff. There are what... like 3 riffs on the new album? The guitars are much more textural and restrained.

I do not like Tracks 4 & 5 ("Harmless Wishes" and "Waking up Blind") on the new Evergrey album at all. They kill the momentum of the album, not only because they perhaps slow things down, but just because they're slighly monotonous.

That said, the guitar solo on "Harmless Wishes" is just stunning. It's like Henrik Dahnage stepped into the studio, said 'fuck this shit', and just ripped that solo out. One of the best Evergrey solos ever I reckon.

EDIT: I would have given The Inner Circle an 8/10 scoring.

That Finntroll doesn't compare to Jaktens Tid. In fact, I think I prefer the EP Trollhammaren to Nattfodd. Don't know, I just don't think it's as "fun" as the others.

SOuls to Deny is good, but a 10/10? No way. Effigy is their best and SOuls doesn't come close. But at least Papa admitted he was biased, which is fair.

Lateralus blows. Aenima owns it in every which way possible. I'd even take Undertow and Opiate before Lateralus. What a boring record it was.

my 2 cents...

ProgMetalFan said:
I dont think "Inner Circle" is a return to form at all... i think it is their most "different" album yet...
Perhaps I should have been more clear. In his review, ChiefB calls "Recreation Day" a "tour de force". To my ear, "Recreation Day" was disappointing. "The Inner Circle" is a return to form, in the sense that it is of the quality that I expect Evergrey's music to be.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
I do not like Tracks 4 & 5 ("Harmless Wishes" and "Waking up Blind") on the new Evergrey album at all. They kill the momentum of the album, not only because they perhaps slow things down, but just because they're slighly monotonous.

That said, the guitar solo on "Harmless Wishes" is just stunning. It's like Henrik Dahnage stepped into the studio, said 'fuck this shit', and just ripped that solo out. One of the best Evergrey solos ever I reckon.

EDIT: I would have given The Inner Circle an 8/10 scoring.
I like those tracks, though I can see why you think they bring things down. It took me awhile to appreciate "Harmless Wishes", but I really enjoy Tom's vocal performance on it... especially when the piano is goin and he's singing "No more dawning days! No more fear or pain! etc etc". "Waking Up Blind" is delicate and subtle. My problem with the album is that I feel it ends with a whimper... the last 3 tracks being rather boring and light. "Where All Good Sleep" is an especially confusing song. I'd give it a 9/10 just cuz I'm such an Evergrey fanatic. But I would place it a notch below their last 3 albums. I just wish it would have more ass-kickers like "More Than Ever".

Part of me does wish it had the consistency of In Search Of Truth, but I completely respect the experimentation on the album. I agree that track 8 is the album's weakest, but Harnless Wishes is an excellent song IMO, the arrangement is completely satisfying at least to these ears and it has some of Tom's best vocals ever.

ProgMetalFan said:
It took me awhile to appreciate "Harmless Wishes", but I really enjoy Tom's vocal performance on it... especially when the piano is goin and he's singing "No more dawning days! No more fear or pain! etc etc".
Hmm, funny because that's the piece that gets under my skin. I prefer it when Tom Englund doesn't get over-emotive as if he's about to burst into tears.

The other slight complaint I have is the lack of riff variety. The first song is slightly too long (should have ended after the solo), and the first three songs all sound a bit same same. The second song sounds like a big Michael Romeo riff which I guess is cool, but doesn't exapnd beyond that really.

Yeah, on second thoughts, maybe Chief B got the score right with 7.5 just because it doesn't even come close to ISotT. If ISotT is a 9.5, then this is a 7.5 fo' sho'.