Crit my Mix please!

I think the mix is decent, but it lacks a lot of work, the high end is too much and the low end is nonexistent.

The guitar tone is too bright , decrease the volume of the voice. cut some treble on any and send a new version :)

Cool song! I feel there´s something with the bass that might need some work. Comparing those two versions you have now,
did you boost the low end in the masterbus in the newer one? On my crappy headphones I can´t hear much low end and with my studio headphones I feel like
there´s too much, so I´d guess there´s a sudden boost in the lows at some point. If you did put a low shelf boost in the master I´d take it off for now and
treat the kick and the bass separately. I think the kick might be taking too much space now in the low end and fighting for it with the bass.
Maybe use a narrower bell boost for the kick or just reduce the boost a bit. Or both :}
After you found the area you want to boost for the kick, try dipping that same area a bit in the bass. Then try to get an fairly even lows for the bass above that.
Now the bass seems to get lost when playing specific notes, is there any cuts between say 80-250hz? Could explain that.
If there isn´t a hpf in the masterbus putting one in could help too to get stuff more under control.
If you don´t have smaller system to check if your low end works on them too, you could check your low end compatibility by
putting a hpf in the end of your masterbus chain and sweep the frequency slowly up during playback to see if you at some point suddenly lose something.
I´ve busted my self like that a couple of times hah!

The guitars sound a bit thin, might be just lack of support from the bass but you could maybe also try to cut the treble boost a bit if you have any on the guitars
and then lift them up so they appear as bright, just they would be thicker too.

Vocals sound awesome! They could be taken down a bit though. The delay is just a bit too apparent imo but might be fixed by just lowering the vocals :)

It´s gonna be a nice mix, good luck with it! And remember to upload a new version when ready :}

Cool song! I feel there´s something with the bass that might need some work. Comparing those two versions you have now,
did you boost the low end in the masterbus in the newer one? On my crappy headphones I can´t hear much low end and with my studio headphones I feel like
there´s too much, so I´d guess there´s a sudden boost in the lows at some point. If you did put a low shelf boost in the master I´d take it off for now and
treat the kick and the bass separately. I think the kick might be taking too much space now in the low end and fighting for it with the bass.
Maybe use a narrower bell boost for the kick or just reduce the boost a bit. Or both :}
After you found the area you want to boost for the kick, try dipping that same area a bit in the bass. Then try to get an fairly even lows for the bass above that.
Now the bass seems to get lost when playing specific notes, is there any cuts between say 80-250hz? Could explain that.
If there isn´t a hpf in the masterbus putting one in could help too to get stuff more under control.
If you don´t have smaller system to check if your low end works on them too, you could check your low end compatibility by
putting a hpf in the end of your masterbus chain and sweep the frequency slowly up during playback to see if you at some point suddenly lose something.
I´ve busted my self like that a couple of times hah!

The guitars sound a bit thin, might be just lack of support from the bass but you could maybe also try to cut the treble boost a bit if you have any on the guitars
and then lift them up so they appear as bright, just they would be thicker too.

Vocals sound awesome! They could be taken down a bit though. The delay is just a bit too apparent imo but might be fixed by just lowering the vocals

It´s gonna be a nice mix, good luck with it! And remember to upload a new version when ready :}

Thanks for all your advice man! here is what i come up with.... its still not there........ theres just something about it that i know i could fix but i dont know what...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the amp sim sound lacking all the lower mids in the guitars to me... Tweak the shit out of it and lpf it more. If you cut the low mids, add them back or use a new impulse because that one sounds horrid for this mix. Also add some low mids to the bass as well and turn down the bass sub a tad and blend.

Edit- wheres the snare? Turn that up and layer a better snare in and cut the harsh treble off the snare. Just my opinion.

New version was an improvement for sure! :} I still think the vocals are so loud it makes the rest of the band seem a little wimp,
if you want to give your mix more edge you could try lowering the vocals a fair bit. Also the cymbals seem a bit loud most of the time,
lowering vocals would likely need lowering the cymbals too. If you like to have the vocals up front, lowering them might ask for some adjustments
in reverb, eq or/and delay. The vocals sounds cool now for sure, but at the expense of the band. It´s a battle with optimizing and doing
compromises :} Still, if you want to keep vocals loud as a nugget, I would raise the drums (not cymbals though) to make the band appear bigger behind vocals.
Drums wouldn´t hurt your vocals too much but give the track some punch.

I agree also with diseasedbeing above, the mix lacks some lower mids and the guitars would definitely love to get some of those. I would also add
some mids to the kick as well.

Hope there was something useful to you!