Critique my mix!

Jaosix

Jaosix
Aug 20, 2012
www.soundcloud.com
http://soundcloud.com/jaosix/new-mix-mas

Don't go easy on me if you're going to critique it. I just want to know straight-up what you think sounds bad/what you think sounds good/and what you think I should improve on. Advice/tips would be nice also lol

Details on the mix..
Guitars were recorded through my line 6 spider 3 mic'd with an m-audio condenser mic straight to my laptop. It was like 80$ so I think I'm really getting a good deal with it. (I can't stand my pod farm gx tones anymore)

Drums, you can probably already tell are superior drummer. I don't have very many presets at all so I made the best of what I could with the default kit (which isn't really bad)

Bass is just my guitar running through the same amp and mic as I did with the guitars, and then pitched down an octave. After that I ran it through a poulin cab simulator with (I think) a couple different ampeg marshall 4x12 impulses.

Synth is just one of the basic fl studio synths I messed with.

and the song was only written by me so I'd have some more stuff to practice mixing on lol

The EQ overall needs work imo. It sounds like everything is in the same frequency zone and in general they could use some sweetening EQ as well. That kick drum doesn't seem to have any low end balls.

Hmmm Im thinking it's the bass that's gluing things together too much
and yeah originally I had the kick boosted a ton on the low end near 65-90hz but it wasnt sitting well in the mix at all so I had to back off a bit.
I think it's the bass that's killing everything. and listening to it again, I definitely think I could spice up the rhythm guitars a bit

Yeah I definitely see what you're saying. I think it's just the avatar kit on superior. I can get a decent punch out of the drums but i can't seem to get it to how it needs to be without killing it lol