Critique Needed On Track for Contest!!

Vice//Versa

Dude among dudes
May 5, 2013
California
Just finished mixing this track for a contest, the deadline is in two days and any input would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really cool man! The main thing I would say is that it doesnt have the loudness that a lot of other competitors might have. If you master it carefully you could get more loudness out of it and when it comes to electronic type music, it makes a huge difference to the listeners. Not sure if it will affect your competition though.

Thanks bro! Mastering seems like a scary territory for me because I'm fairly new to the craft. This is my second "full" mix and I dont know how loud I should go into the limiter and how much i should push it. I've read around a little and I know i shouldn't have a loud mix because that comes from my mastering chain but couldn't I just lower the volume when going into my limiter if that is the case? and how do I know that my RMS level is around 9-10? sorry if it's a lot :zzz:

There's a lot to mastering, and I only know the basics. It's important to compress in stages though and a good Maximizer or brickwall limiter is usually the last stage.
Bringing the threshold down on the limiter/Maximizer brings the volume up. Once it starts compressing the audio is when distortion and pumping can start to happen.

Sonalksis FreeG is a free meter that displays RMS.

Loudness is only a small part of mastering though and yes it's pretty scary. It's so easy to destroy your mix at this stage in its life and I'm an expert at just that :p we all have to learn somehow though.

This is my first mix ever and I made it when some stems from this forums, I attempted some simple mastering on it (to come close to the original loudness). Does it sound completely lifeless? any other advice is welcomed :)

Last edited by a moderator: