Crucial moments in Metal history

I'm going to go with:
1997 Pat Boon Releases Metal Album.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z67IqrmygZY&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxJhDlz4jxM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUvXKc5BMI&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmcrXNuCwg&feature=fvw[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
January 1970, seven months after they changed the name of their band from Earth, these men...

black20sabbath1970s.jpg

... in Regent Sound Studios in London finished recording this album...

black_sabbath_debut_album.jpg

... and the world was awesome.

The rest is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
September 23, 1943

Julio Iglesias is born.

The rest is metallic history.

julioDM_468x682.jpg

Led Zep.
Even Sabbath owe them a debt after ripping off "Communication Breakdown", and most of the dark, "satanic" themes in metal can be traced to Jimmy Page's interest in Aleister Crowley.

Please explain further?

Paranoid?

I don't know if the following quote is exact, since I found it on some random website, but it's close enough to the real comment as to be genuine.

“We used to lie on the floor of the rehearsal room, stoned, listening to the first two Zep albums, Paranoid was just a rip-off of Communication Breakdown” -Geezer Butler

July 10, 1942 - Ronald James Padavona is born in Portsmouth, NH
1963 - The Kingsmen's song "Louie, Louie" becomes the first garage rock standard.
1966 - Blue Cheer is formed and become progenitors of stoner, doom, experimental and grunge.
May 21, 1968 - Peter Tork headbangs while playing the bass at The Monkees concert in Salt Lake City Utah...The footage is used later in their psychedelic movie "Head"

Paranoid?

I don't know if the following quote is exact, since I found it on some random website, but it's close enough to the real comment as to be genuine.

“We used to lie on the floor of the rehearsal room, stoned, listening to the first two Zep albums, Paranoid was just a rip-off of Communication Breakdown” -Geezer Butler

I figured you might be talking about Paranoid, but that Geezer quote is news to me!

I think Dave Mustaine being let go from Metallica is pretty big along with Cliffs death. Think how different Metallica would be today if these two events do not take place...

end of the 60's: Judas Priest, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep and loads of other heavy acts form.

1973 AC/DC form to give the oldies a kick in the butt! But also other classic acts like UFO, Rainbow, Accept or Ted Nugent form.

end of the 70's: NWoBHM, bands like Iron Maiden, Tygers of Pan Tang, Tyson Dog, Atomkraft, Witchfinder General, Diamond Head, Blitkrieg form and make shit heavier than ever before. Bands like Raven, Venom and Avenger even introduce the world with genuie speed/thrash metal.

At the same time the punk movement soars to great hieghts. The more "hardcore" acts like Discharge, The Exploited, GBH or Broken Bones inspire the young metal bands to mix their NWoBHM with a lethal dose of agression and attitude.

So in the early 80's the thrash movement starts off with bands lik Slayer, Exodus, Sodom, Anthrax, Destruction and Kreator.

Also in the early 80's we see the first band that come from a punk background and start to incorprorate metal elements in their music. Crossover is born, bands like SOD, DRI, Suicidal Tendencies, CroMags, Agnostic Front or Excel.

In the late 80's we get the "second wave" with more technical and melodic thrash metal. Bands like Despair, Artillery, Testament, Forbidden, Vio-Lence, Defiance, Panic, Realm or Toxik.

In the early 90's grunge is the next big thing (the good side was it also killed Hair Metal!). The metal bands that were left mostly changed their sound and only a few metal bands were innovative enough to reach the masses. I remember PanterA and Sepultura broke through big time. Tough probably more in the US than here in Europe. I quite soon lost interest in anything after this.