Crunch Time

Wildy

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2011
Hey guys, I've been a lurker for a while but I thought it was about time I started participating!

Anywho, I'm at that time in my life now where I've got to make the decision as to what I do with myself for the rest of it... ie. choosing a University. Among other offers I have an offer for Electronic Engineering (CEng accredited) at Southampton, and MEng Audio Systems Engineering at Queen Mary London.

Although I would love to be engineering records, I don't think I have the skill to produce anything better than your average Joe. I'm more interested into the actual design side of things, ie. designing the equipment, DAWs etc. etc. I guess my fear is that if I took Electronic Engineering I'd be uncertain about the opportunities to specialize in audio. That said Southampton is the best in the UK, and one of the best in Europe for EE. On the other hand I'm worried that by taking Audio Systems Engineering that it's too specific and would severely limit my options should I not get an audio position.

So really:
1. Which course would be a better choice for getting into the audio industry while maintaining a wide spectrum of knowledge?
2. How much demand is there in the audio industry at the moment? And is it possible to get into straight from graduation, or does it require a fair bit of experience?

Any ideas?

Mike