Cryptopsy - ...And Then You'll Beg

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Cryptopsy - ...And Then You'll Beg
Century Media records - 2000

/images/covers/cryptopsy_beg.jpg

"You hear that! That is the sound of inevitability!" With this line made famous by the movie The Matrix, Cryptopsy's new album starts off with its sheer brutality, which does not stop until the album is finished. And Then You'll Beg is the fourth album from the multi-talented Canadian death metal band. The music is fast, crushing, extremely heavy and technical. There are plenty of time and tempo changes in all the songs. It is really unbelievable to listen how quickly the band can go from one direction to the next. Flo Mounier is the band's drummer and all I can say is that this guy is amazing! His double bass drumming is incredibly fast; it is hard to believe that this guy has only two feet and two hands because at the blazing speed he plays, it sounds like he has an abundance of limbs. Mike DiSalvo is once again the vocalist and he handles his duties superbly. He was hand picked by the original singer, Lord Worm, to take over the vocal duties. Jon Levasseur, lead and rhythm guitars, Alex Auburn, rhythm and lead guitars and Eric Langlois, bass, round out the rest of the band. The guitars are just as excellent as the drumming. There are great leads, riffs, hooks, and solos. Despite the brutal nature of this album, there are actually some groovy and catchy guitar parts in the album that adds another dimension to the music.

The first song, "And then it Passes", is aggressive, fierce, and one of my favorite songs of the album. The next song "We Bleed" is my favorite and best song. The solo sections are really awesome. There are many memorable riffs and leads in this song. The drums and guitars are simply superb and the guitar solo that is found at about the end of the song is fantastic. The vocals are aggressive and well sung. This song really highlights the best qualities of Cryptopsy. One of the songs that exemplifies a catchy and almost groovy vibe is "Shroud". But just because it is groovy does not mean it is not brutal and this song still maintains the bands shattering power. Of note is the guitar solo/lead section that appears at around the 1:27 mark. This guitar part is extremely cool and it is repeated several times during the song. "Back to the Worms" is a new update of this classic old song and fits right in with this album. The last song of the album, "Screams go Unheard" starts off with about 2 minutes of distorted screaming sounds. The lyrics deal with the mind of a stalker and it is co-written by DiSalvo's wife. The song itself is another unrelenting and powerful piece of music that ends the album with an exclamation point!!

Cryptopsy has come out with an extremely powerful album that easily gets better with every listen. What is so amazing is that each song contains so many riffs and leads that many bands could build an entire song with just one of these riffs. This is what I think makes Cryptopsy a very talented band. I know that Death Metal is not for everyone. It simply boils down to you like or you don't. So for those who really do not like this sort of music it will be best if you try another band. But those of you who like a crushing and innovative album you should definitely check out And Then You'll Beg.