Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
CRYPTOPSY - NONE SO LIVE
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

cryptopsy_nonesolive.jpg

After an extensive tour in support of And Then You'll Beg, Cryptopsy has released a live album of that tour recorded in their hometown of Montreal. If you were not able to see them in that tour then I truly feel bad for you because they are definitely amazing live. Having the pleasure of not only seeing them with Mike DiSalvo but also with their new singer Martin Lacroix, I was highly anticipating an album that would capture the intensity of their shows and None So Live definitely accomplishes that task.

None So Live features some of the great aspects that I want to hear in a live album, such as a screaming crowd, not just in between the songs but during the songs. Interaction by the band with the crowd and this time it is excellent because of Martin addressing the crowd in French. Finally, the sound is perfect. Every instrument is heard perfectly, nothing is lost in the mix and it just sounds "live". I think it is great that things such as Jon, Alex and Eric prepping/tuning their individual instruments between songs have been kept and not edited out because it adds a sense of reality and credibility to the recording.

None So Live features songs from the band's four studio albums and that should please all Cryptopsy fans, especially the fact that fours songs from None So Vile are played. Some of the highlights of the show are "Phobophile", "Cold Hate, Warm Blood", "We Bleed", "Defenstration" and "Graves of the Fathers" with a drum solo by Flo right in the middle of it, further cementing my belief that right now he is the best drummer in metal. Of course the most important thing of this album is that it is the first album featuring Martin at the vocals. Having already heard him live and now with this album, I definitely believe that he is the perfect combination of Lord Worm and Mike DiSalvo. This should definitely please all Cryptopsy fans who seem to split themselves down the middle as to who the best Cryptopsy vocalist is. Martin just might be the solution to settle that argument and the anticipation for a studio album with him at the helm will no doubt grow. Until that album arrives be sure to pass the time with this one.

Cenutry Media Records Website
Cryptopsy Official Website