cubase and parallel compression, how do u do it?

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
I can't seem to figure out how I can send drums to two different busses in a way that I can hear the drums with just the compression bus and also another clean bus. The way I do it right now is send it to an FX channel and use compression in that channel but I can't hear the compressor bus solo'ed that way. I've been trying to do other things as well, choose a fx channel as output on all plugin channels, trying stuff like that.
The main thing I wanna do is being able to solo the compression track AND also have it as independent of volume output as possible so I don't have to change the threshold all the time because of changing the volume on my clean bus.

I've seen parallel comp videos but most of them are in pro tools so I can't figure out how to do it in cubase.

Create a parallel comp "group," put the compressor/eq on it, and then use the FX sends to send the channels you want to compress to the group. Be sure to do it "pre-fader" (little box on the send that turns orange when you click it), and set the send level to '0' before adjusting to taste (I generally send snare at 0, toms and kick at slightly less).

To hear the group channel track solo'ed I just have to turn down the volume of the tracks I sent (the prefader button makes them still active in the group channel), or is there another way I'm overlooking?

Anyway, this fixed my problem, thanks Jeff :kickass:

yeah you can just turn the faders down to hear exactly what the parallel comp is doing to it; I usually just crank the parallel comp bus, adjust to taste, and then lower it back down to a normal level.

I read something joey posted once about parrellel comping in cubase causing phase cancellations, i wish I could find it. Has anyone ever experienced this?