Drums-->parallel compression in Reaper!Help..

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
I have ez drummer. I heard Parallel compression can improve the tone.
I'm using Reaper.. how exactly do you do parallel compression on drums?
thanks

If using EZ Drummer, first thing would be to set up multiple outs and use the 'route out' setting on the mixer. In reaper, you sent up an aux channel with a compressor set to a very high level, for example -30db with a high ratio. You then send the parts you want to that Aux channel, usual thing I do is just send Kick, Snare and Toms but there's room to experiment of course. keep the fader right down and then slowly turn it up and mix to taste.

This is a very very basic outline as I am not much more than a bedroom warrior tbh and it would be worth doing your own research to get a better and deeper understanding. There is an article in Sound on Sound this month all about parallel compression so check it out and the internet, hell there is even a wikipedia entry on it.

Oh and put a high and low pass filter after the compressor on the AUX channel

can anybody do an actual video tutorial on doing parallel compression on drums In reaper? thanks for all the help!!

This has been gone over many times. Regardless of the DAW it is a matter if compressing a duplicate of the signal and blending it back in. Most of us would do it through send/aux/bus but even duplicating the a track and putting compression on it is "parallel compression". If this is a question on how to use sends/aux/busses there will be a ton of info on this already. Hope this helps.

Very easy.

In your project, CTRL + T to add a new track.

Click the FX button on that track.

Add a compressor to the track. (Make sure to set the parameters or default will usually be 1:0 ratio and you will hear no difference!)

Click the [i/o] button on this track.

Click "Receives" or "Add new receive" or whatever.

Select whichever tracks your kick, snare, and toms are.

Done. (Kind-of)

From there you can HP/LP, or do whatever you want.

It's much easier in Reaper. Just use the wet/dry knob in the upper right corner of the FX window. Mix to taste, done.

*edit*

Oh well, it doesn't allow you to use different settings on the other effects (or add others). Still usefull though.

I think I do the idiot method of Parallel Compression...

If it's MIDI, I literally just duplicate the tracks, take out all the cymbals/overheads etc and bounce it down to save CPU, then compress it to hell. Then just adjust the volume of that track. Voila.

I think I do the idiot method of Parallel Compression...

If it's MIDI, I literally just duplicate the tracks, take out all the cymbals/overheads etc and bounce it down to save CPU, then compress it to hell. Then just adjust the volume of that track. Voila.

But, why do all that extra work when you can just send the midi drums to a parallel comp bus? Same effect, less work. (Not that it's loads of work to do it your way by any means).

Ok here is my take on parallel compression.. should i only put parallel compression on kick/toms/snares? how about the rest of the drum kit(overheads?hihat) Not sure if i'm doing it correctly.

anyway i kept both the levels on the master bus and Compression bus the same.
let me know what you guys think.
thanks

If you do it in Reaper (or any DAW for that matter), make sure you set the para comp bus as Pre-Fader so the amount you compress doesn't change.

But, why do all that extra work when you can just send the midi drums to a parallel comp bus? Same effect, less work. (Not that it's loads of work to do it your way by any means).

Because normally my projects have a single track with all the midi data on it.. I'll need separated out tracks of midi to just send the Kick, toms and snare, for example, to a parallel comp bus. Though Reaper does ask me at the start where to do a multichannel item, or separated out.. so I might just do that, and send everything to a SSD bus, for example,and also send Kick toms and snare to a separate parallel compressed bus..

But then again, I did say it was the idiot way :D

how do you set it to pre fader? maybe a screenshot?

Click the little [i/o] button on the track.

Select your send or receive, and under each of those there will be a drop down menu. I think default is Post Pan.

I still get a bit confused between Post Pan/Fade, and Pre Fade....

P.S.: I know the OP messaged me and I've been meaning to help you out but been busy lately and just realized my inbox is full. Also - I don't know how to make a video tutorial. :lol:

no problem.. is it necessary to set it to pre-fader instead of post fader?

can anybody suggest good compression settings? and maybe a good compressor for doing parallel compression.
thanks for all the responses.