Simple question about parallel compression(help please)

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
Hi,
just simple question ^^(i think)
when you use parallel compression you apply it on a "dry track" only
or do you compress "normally" and then apply parallel compression too?
so 4 options:
-using it on dry tracks individually (one compressor per track)
-using it on many dry tracks with a drum bus
-compressing single tracks and then with parallel compression on each one too
-compressing it "normally" and then applying parallel compression to the drum bus

id really appreciate the opinion of the pr0s (lasse,machinated,splatt,ahjteam, etc on this subject)

(Sorry if there's something wrong with the English
or if this is totally nonsense (its 2 am and my brain its at its minimum performance level))

p.s: i used the search function and i didn't find an answer to my question.
i apologize if i missed it.

the whole point of parallel compression is to have one track un-touched, with the natural dynamics and transients in place, with another that's pretty well smashed blended with it

best way to do it is to send the tracks you want to compress out on an aux send. leave the original track alone, smash the aux send, and blend the two to taste.

as far as applying to single tracks or a buss, that just depends on the source...try both and see which you like more

I parallel compress on each track using Voxengo Marquee (its got a wet/dry knob so you can adjust and you're not just picking something cos its louder). I compress normally, then add the parallel compression, then usually another couple dB of normal compression on the drum bus to tighten it all back up.

The way I parallel compress, I use the minimum attack with a 40-70ms release. Its not making the transient bigger, but adding more body. I use this alongside normal compression.
The other option is to use a dry attack, and then parallel compress with normal settings (30ms, etc.), but this doesn't give you the beef. Might work well for lighter stuff though.

watching Thepanicrooms videos plec says
"i compressed the drums during tracking" and later he applies parallel compressioan to the drums too

that is whats driving me crazy :S
and why i made this thread

"-compressing it "normally" and then applying parallel compression to the drum bus."

Unless the original source is filled with "wild and fickle" peaks, I wouldn't need to compress it "normally".

"-using it on dry tracks individually (one compressor per track).
-using it on many dry tracks with a drum bus."

Depends on what suits the mix better. I sometimes get away with compressing individually and applying a mild compression on the drum bus.

watching Thepanicrooms videos plec says
"i compressed the drums during tracking" and later he applies parallel compressioan to the drums too

that is whats driving me crazy :S
and why i made this thread

i would take that to mean that the signal chain at tracking is mic-->pre-->comp-->HD

this would mean, of course, that parallel compression is being applied to a track that was already squished a bit on the way in