Parallel Compression on Guitars?

What type of plugin would one use for parallel compression?

yeah, any decent compressor will work. but the stillwell rocket actually has a blend knob, so you can parallel compress with out sending to a aux track.

in logic, you can go into the advanced controls for the native plugs, and there is a mix control that allows you to choose how much of the "affected" signal you want. very handy.

but I still prefer to send to an aux for parallel comping

I tried some upward expansion using izotope. Had great results on boosting a lot of the subtle notes when fast picking. Just need to watch the hum when applying.

anyone got the link to the previous thread on this topic? Googled it but it didn't come up...
thanks

BEFORE you do this compression i think you have to think exactly what you want to bring out.... to process without think previously sounds like a desperate aproach. If you process but can't be clear about what you really did, sounds desperate too.

BEFORE you do this compression i think you have to think exactly what you want to bring out.... to process without think previously sounds like a desperate aproach. If you process but can't be clear about what you really did, sounds desperate too.

if i understand you properly than a big +1 so many people use techniques just to use them, rather than to ENHANCE the sound!

in logic, you can go into the advanced controls for the native plugs, and there is a mix control that allows you to choose how much of the "affected" signal you want. very handy.

but I still prefer to send to an aux for parallel comping

Good call,
i'd forgotten about that mix control as i rarely use it. i also still prefer to send out to a bus cos when i'm parallel compressing drums i sometimes put a hint of saturation on after the compressor, works brilliantly for grimey breakbeats and hiphop. i sometimes just use the Logic overdrive plug, filter open all the way and about 1dB of drive. really adds a lot to the cymbals and snare.

+Infinity. Whenever necessary. :)