Parallel Comp = Stereo Narrowing?

gorath23

Feb 6, 2008
After reading about the various uses for Parallel Compression I decided to give it a go. Because, however, the ParaComp is on a seperate bus it inevitably doesn't pan the same as the original source (in my case 100% L/R Guitars). In essence it pulls the stereo field inwards as you have no choice but to pan the ParaComp dead centre.

How do you overcome this? I've been really pleased with the results using Stillwell's Major Tom, but should I be looking for a Stereo Compressor? My temporary fix has been to widen it back with Reapers (Stillwell) StereoWidth plug, but I'm not entirely sure that this is correct. I'll post clips if it will help.

Just make a stereo aux track (like you would to preserve the panning of anything else you send to it) and use a stereo compressor dude, like you suspected.

Just make a stereo aux track (like you would to preserve the panning of anything else you send to it) and use a stereo compressor dude, like you suspected.

Any idea how to do that on Reaper? It doesn't seem to offer the choice of Mono/Stereo tracks- probably being a noob though (only been using it for 6 months......:rolleyes:)

Hmm, no idea, unfortunately - I'm planning on getting Reaper soon, though, so I'd be interested in the answer as well!

Got it straight away, this is why I love Reaper, you can pan the recieves in the I/O area. It also means you don't need a Stereo Compresser - Major Tom really sounds amazing on guitars!

A Reaper track is Mono/Stereo/MIDI compatible, you can place a midi sequence in the middle of your stereo track if you want.. Reaper does the "switching" internally/automaticly..

Reaper is free to try the first 30 days, after that it only leaves you with a bad counciense :p No limitiations

I recommend it!

i use reaper and simply use a SEND to direct my L and R guitar to the compression track. That way - you preserve the original L/R (100/100) and can play with the I/O send on the receive comp track (e.g. 80/80). mix the orig L/R and then pull up the comp track to taste.