Overstayer Stereo VCA Comp

AHChris

Jun 23, 2009
Bavaria
Hey guys!

I just discovered that Overstayer offers a new compressor! Seems like an awesome thing for the 2bus... I´m broke right now but since there is an introductory price and it seems pretty cheap for all the features (stereo comp + rudimentary eq + mix function) I thought I better let you guys know. I own the Overstayer stereo FET comp and it´s a really nifty tool, so this one could be win!

http://overstayer.squarespace.com/stereo-vca-compressor/

I'll let Ermz chime in on the other comp that Overstayer makes, but I'd stay away from anything he make after hearing the A/B tests.

Weird, I've only heard great things about these comps and was planning on picking one up in a few months time.

I've finally found a use for the FET comps. It took a few months, but I find as long as they're kept on drum bus (used very slightly in parallel, totally slammed, distortion on) or on dirty dance synths, they're alright.

They're unlike any other gear I have, in that their use seems extremely limited. With that said, there is one on the drumbus on the Orpheus record, and another on the synths bus.

Not sure about this new one but someone is bound to chime in with their experiences.

Care to expand on why their use is so limited? I'd be getting a set as a bus comp for most likely drums and/or maybe vocals. Do they distort easily or are they just not fast enough?

You can't get them to not distort. They have this character that sounds lo-fi and nasty for most things, but for blending in some disgusting pumpy crap under drums, or destroying trance synths they are ideal. Actually my fave use of them has been on synths, by far. Both on the Memnoir single and the recent Orpheus album.

They would work as bus comps for drums and vox. Just bear in mind they give vox a very flat and up-front character. I find myself sucking a lot of 600hz out afterward - they seem to like bringing out that mid region. Also, on drums the best way to use them is in parallel, totally destroying the signal, then blending it back in. As a serial compressor they lack the punch of other comps, and I found in many cases plug-ins suited me better when used like this. Oh, and I know I've been using them on fast metal drums lately, but I'm a tad crazy, and I would generally advise against it if you're working on metal. They give a very dense character to drums that makes them quite incompatible with fast playing.