The URS Channel Strip Pro Thread

This plugin is amazing. I have found that the attack and release knobs are more critical on this than other compressor plugins so sometimes you have to adjust things a bit more precisely. Right now I'm loving the 1176 settings, but it got me thinking what all of the compressor models are. Is there a list anywhere?

Some of them are obvious like Opto2a being an LA2A and the Opto2aL is with the limit function engaged. Fet 4, 8, 12, 20 and all is the 1176, I'm pretty sure the Stress models are of the distressor. Also the 1970's are Neve's but which one? as with the 1980 being SSL - which model(s)?

The URS website says this about the EQ's:

* 1951 Program EQ - Tube
* 1967 Console EQ - American 4 Band
* 1970 Console EQ - British 3 band Class A
* 1972 Console EQ - British 4 band Class A/B
* 1980 Console EQ - British 4 Band

And about the compressors:

Presently 60 Compressor presets are included:

* Two 1967 Americian Channel Comp presets
* Five 1970 British Channel Comp presets
* Two 1970 British Channel Limiter presets
* Five 1980 British VCA Channel Comp presets
* Five Fet presets
* Four Opto presets
* Room Mic preset
* Four Stress presets
* Five Tape Compression presets
* Twelve Tube Compression presets
* Seven American VCA presets
* Two Very-New presets
* Three Class A Buss Comp presets
* Three URS Classic Console Strip presets

The manual has a slightly better list as it says which of these corresponds to which setting, but its pretty obvious from these. Anyone know any more specifics?

Using 8 cores, I'm unable to reach a limit of these things I'm using them on almost everything.

Maybe we can collectively conjure up a master list.

I have this plugin and like it and would also really like to know this information. What do you use the strip on? Do you use it on guitars at all or no?

I'm gonna be in the market for some plugs soon, and now that I've discovered that MH CSP is Mac only :mad:, do you think the URS is a similarly effective all-purpose CSP?

EDIT: Whoa, $500 for the Pro? Yeah right, like I'm spending that much on fucking 1's and 0's at this stage in my recording development - how's the much more reasonably-priced URS Classic Console Strip?

The Classic Console Strip is very very very very limited, but it is still useful. The CSP Pro is like 50 different Classic Console Strips ;-). Just go to the URS site and compare the specs. IMO the CSP Pro is cheap when you consider how versatile it is.

Yeah, I got the URS CSP with a student discount (50%). That has seriously got to be one of the best value plugins available if you are eligible. I use CSP on everything really, although for distorted guitars I don't tend to compress, and I'm also not keen on some of the saturation effects. I'm sure a read that CLA always uses an LA3A on distorted guitars so maybe theres some room for experimentation.

I know Slate is a big fan of the CSP - if you are around Steven what do you know about the different models?

That sounds cool man, I had been wondering about that. Too bad you have to get their DSP card in order to get their plug ins. How is that LA-2A BTW? Also, do you have or had the chance to try out the Fairchild?

That sounds cool man, I had been wondering about that. Too bad you have to get their DSP card in order to get their plug ins. How is that LA-2A BTW? Also, do you have or had the chance to try out the Fairchild?

I think you are getting confused with the UAD stuff. It does all get confusing when every company abbreviates their name to 3 letters. URS stuff is available for native and TDM (with an ilok).

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! HAHAHHH your right, DOH! Brain fart dude.

Okay, then what do you think of the distressor setting on it? Does it "crunch" the way it should?

I also wouldn't min checking out their "Saturation" plugin, it seems like an interesting plugin, too bad they don't give you a free trial.

Edit - NM I can check it out since I have an iLok.

Input Stages

1951 = Pultec
1967 = Api ? 1608 ? 2488
1970 = Neve ? 1073 ? 8016
1792 = Neve ? 1081 ? 8068 ? 8078
1980 = SSL4000 ? E ? G
IronA = American transformer ? Api ?
IronB = Britishtransformer Neve ? 1272 ? 33609
IronC = American transformer ? maybe Cranesong
IronD = ? maybe Danish ? Tube Tech? Daking
IronG = German transformer Telefunken ? V76 ? V78
15ips = Tape 15ips 2"
30ips = Tape 30ips 2"
30ipsH = Tape 30ips Halfinch
Tube1 = ?
Tube2 = ?

Compressor Models

1967 = API 525
1970 = Neve 2254 or 2264
1980 - SSl Channel Comp
Fet = Urei 1176
Opto2a = La2a
Opto3a = La3a
RM Mic = SSL Listenback Mic
Stress = Distressor
Strip Presets
15ips = Tape 15ips 2" compression
15ipsL = Tape 15ips 2"compression
30ips = Tape 30ips 2" compression
30ipsL = Tape 30ips 2" compression
30ips = Tape 30ips Halfinch
Tube Child 1-4 = Fairchild 1-4
Tube = Altec 436
Tube B = RCA Ba6a
Tube E = ?
Tube F = Federal Am864U
TubeSL = Gates Stay Level
Tube T = Tube Tech CL1b
VCA60 = dbx 160
VCA60x = dbx 160x
VCA65 = dbx 165a
VNew = Manley Vari MU
XTC = Class A Buss ? Cransong STC-8

EQ
1951 = Pultec
1967 = Api 550A? 550B ?
1970 = Neve 1073
1792 = Neve 1081
1980 = SSL4000 ? E ? G
:wave:

I'm gonna be in the market for some plugs soon, and now that I've discovered that MH CSP is Mac only :mad:, do you think the URS is a similarly effective all-purpose CSP?

EDIT: Whoa, $500 for the Pro? Yeah right, like I'm spending that much on fucking 1's and 0's at this stage in my recording development - how's the much more reasonably-priced URS Classic Console Strip?

Man I feel the same way when I run into a company that wants this kind of scratch for 1s and 0s.

But then again I am a student so $250 for this plug at that point isn't all that bad.

i honestly couldn't get on with this plugin....
Just had too much going on for me!
sounded cool but confused the shit out of me!!

Ditto....too many eggs in one basket possibly. Something about the UI didn't sit well with me when I was demoing it and I ended up reaching for other options (e.g. UAD Neve 88RS) before the CSP if I needed an all-in-one plug. I did like the de-esser presets though!

I'm in the 'too many options' boat. I tried it on a recent rock project and probably did more harm than good just lingering around listening to all the minute changes. I still go back to the Waves SSL and Renaissance packs for the crux of my signal processing.

I think it certainly takes some getting used to, as I can't think of many other plugins that offer so many options. After spending some time with it, I'm really familiar with the interface and I love how easy it is to change something such as the signal modelling, an EQ type, or compressor without changing anything else.

I agree. If you spend time with it before you do any serious projects you'll get to know it well and not have to take so much time figuring it all out while you are doing a serious recording.