Recommendations for tracking with comps on SSL6000E series...

MarcusD777

Dec 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
So im going to start tracking a Metal/Rockish band next weekend in Boston on an SSL6000E series console with a plentiful amount of great outboard gear... We will be laying down drums and bass together (isolated in seperate rooms)... Im trying to get some insight on whether to rock some compression to tape (aka protools HD rig) or record everything dry?? I usually always track dry and compress later in the box but since I have such a variety of good comps both outboard and on the SSL Im wondering if it would be a good idea to start shaping my sounds right off the bat...

Here is a list of the outboard comps:

(2) dbx 165 a compressor
dbx 1066 compressor stereo
dbx425 compressor stereo
teletronix la2a comp/limiter
urei 1176 compressor
(2) empirical labs distressor comp (not sure if they have the brit mod)
manley variable mu comp/limiter
manley massive passive stereo eq
and SSL channel comps/eqs

I was mainly interested in trying out the distressors, la2a, and 1176 on drums and bass but I am not too familar with them... I am pretty familiar with the SSL comps/eqs though... ANy tips or advice on some safe bets using any of these to compress to tape for metal production would be great.

potential drum mic setup:
2 ohs
2 snare
2 kick in/out
toms
ride/hi hat
mono mic 5ft away
M/S room mics

bass setup:
direct clean SVT pro 3
direct dirty with tubscreamer in front
maybe miced up 5150 thru mesa cab
using 3 way splitter

here is a link to a clip of a live rehearsal demo (w/out vox) I did for the band to get an idea of the overall sound...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=803131

What you could do is process the sounds with the outboard for a bit of flavor but leave lots of room for post processing.

You could also track the drums dry and then sample the kit with full outboard processing for later blending or vice versa.

What you could do is process the sounds with the outboard for a bit of flavor but leave lots of room for post processing.

You could also track the drums dry and then sample the kit with full outboard processing for later blending or vice versa.

good thinking.
but fuck; with gear like that; id track with it on; unless your going back there to mix!!

Yea ill be back there to mix it but I will have limited studio time sooo I dont want to get too rushed and end up not being able to get the sounds I want... SO if i can utilize some of the good comps there and then finish up at home with some of my plugs that would be the best bet... I just dont want to shoot myself in the foot by getting heavy handed with some of the gear im unfamiliar with right off the bat...