Parallel compression, channel bus compression

Alphanumeric

Jul 12, 2013
UK
Kick drum

Parallel compression, duplicating the whole track and compress the duplicate, two tracks with two audio waves.

Or

Send kick to a mono bus, parra comp ...

Whats the difference?

:confused:

There is no difference other than the bus option is more resource friendly in the HDD department depending on the DAW or some people like me go OCD crazy having a track in a bus, but I also don't like duplicating tracks either unless its post processed. If you use reaper you can just send the parallel comp to another "track" or if you use outboard gear, send to an output channel, and then come back in on a new track instead of a a bus.

Anyway, its all semantics for the most part, para comp is para comp, doesn't matter how you do it.

Can't believe I'm asking this, parra comp is like riding a bike, but :erk:

Kick drum

Parallel compression, duplicating the whole track and compress the duplicate, two tracks with two audio waves.

Or

Send kick to a mono bus, place my Sknote Dbx165 on there because its so sweet for parra comp (but every video i've seen it used on ... its on a bus?)

Whats the difference?

:confused:
Which ever way you choose to do it the tracks have to be lined up sample accurate and the delay times compensated for or you'll get a phase shift between the tracks. gl

"Which ever way you choose to do it the tracks have to be lined up sample accurate and the delay times compensated for or you'll get a phase shift between the tracks. gl"

an easy way to do that is place the same plugin on the original track and just bypass it

not that you don't know that, just adding to your comment for the OP

The only time I'd duplicate the track is if there was some sort of FX insert on the original track that I didn't want on the parallel track which I don't think I've ever done. More importantly than that, I use more than one kick track so I send them all to the same bus for compression. If you duplicate the tracks you'd be applying comp separately to each one which may have it's own advantages but I've never done it this way.