Cubase midi drums bpm problem

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
When I import midi files from my Roland V-drum, for example played at tempo 150, it plays the midi data at 150 bpm in cubase, but the cubase tempo has to be on default 120 bpm.

It doesn't match because the V-drums probably don't add the right bpm data from their clicktrack to the file. Actually that maybe even doesn't make sense because Cubase was used to track the midi data and wasn't tempo synced.
Problem is I let someone drum a whole album like this, but wish to get it snapped on the grid for quantizing correctly.

If I change the tempo in cubase the midi just speeds up or slows down, could I get across this?(logically all recordings act as if it are 120 bpm midi files)

Anyone knows how to solve this?
Thanks!

I'm not sure I fully understand the issue - when you import the midi file, the tempo doesn't change to what it should be? Is that what you're saying?

Try importing the MIDI file but when it asks you if you want to create a new project, click "yes."

Hi Jeff,
Exactly. When I import it to a new project, it'll always be on 120 BPM, while the recorded midi track is on a different speed.
The drummer used the metronome from his V-drums for monitoring more easily.
He should've matched the tempo in cubase, so after recording it would've just been snapping the notes to the grid.
Now everything is recorded in a 120 bpm template in Cubase...

That just changes the default track time type, you want to change this track time type period. On the track in question, on the left side of the arrange window when the track is selected, there should be an orange button with a little musical note in it. If you click it, it'll turn into a clock - the clock means it's in linear mode.

It's an issue of Cubase not importing tempo when importing MIDI unless you create an entire new project. It's a pain in the ass.

That's totally what I was looking for.
Always wondered what that button is meant for.

Jeff, you saved me a lot of work, thanks!