Cubase Mixdown Volume

Paul Malmsteen

New Metal Member
Jan 17, 2009
Hey, I tried a search but couldn't find anything

When using Cubase SX3 I get good levels during playback but when I mixdown the track is much quieter. I imported it back in and played it against everything else with the phase inverted and there was only a little difference, opposed to cancelling it if it were the same, so it isn't because of a different player or anything. How do I fix this? I am using a Fireface 400. My monitor levels shouldn't matter if there is a difference when playing the tracks against each other should they?

Please help, thanks

No I have it lowered or otherwise it is too loud, is this a problem?

well, this is your problem dude...
if you have the master fader at -3 db, the mixdown will be at -3 db
just raise it to 0 when you do your mixdown (or get a volume controler
for your monitors :Smokin:)

No I have it lowered or otherwise it is too loud, is this a problem?

i'd venture to say yes, it is a problem

you should never have to lower your master fader while mixing digitally...if you are, then your tracks are too hot, and you need to be pulling individual faders down a bit

sure, but when you import it back to your session you have your track
lowered by 3 db lowered again, so it's quieter than your project ;)

Oh right I get it, now I feel stupid lol. And colonel kurtz you are right all my tracks are too hot that's why I pulled it down but this is apparently the wrong way to fix it. I think I'll be right now I have that all worked out so thanks for the help everybody.

just select all tracks at the same time across your mixer, and pull them all down a few db, and you should be good to go...take my word for it, digital mixes sound MUCH better when the meters stay far away from the red. a lot of people worry about the level of the track when doing this...but that headroom is there so that whoever's mastering the track has room to work their magic.

H20? i can honestly say i've never heard of this cracking group..

thankfully i don't need to have any dongle emulation now! heh.

yes, for those people without a truck load of cash to spend on a DAW, SX3 is a good learning platform. but i recommend just turning down the volume on your monitors, rather than the output channel in cubase :p

thanks,

yea, but turning down the level on the monitors isn't going to help if you're clipping the output on the master bus

...just like it won't help to pull down the fader on a track that's clipping if it's happening at the preamp or D/A converter